• Home
  • Tag: 香草419论坛

USD 3.9B buyout of Tribune by Sinclair ends in acrimony

first_imgNew York, Aug 9 (AP) The USD 3.9 billion buyout of Tribune Media by Sinclair collapsed Thursday, ending a bid to create a massive media juggernaut that could have rivaled the reach of Fox News.Tribune Media Co. said Thursday that it is suing Sinclair for breach of contract and at least USD 1 billion in damages, according to its complaint .Sinclair used “unnecessarily aggressive and protracted negotiations” with the Department of Justice and Federal Communications Commission over regulatory requirements, the Chicago company said, and it refused to sell the stations it needed to in order to gain regulatory approval.Sinclair Broadcast Group wanted the Chicago company’s 42 TV stations and had initially agreed to dump almost two dozen of its own to score approval by the FCC.The media company, which has enjoyed the support of President Donald Trump, appeared to be cruising toward approval by U.S. regulators.Last month, however, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said that he had “serious concerns” about the deal, saying that Sinclair might still be able to operate the stations “in practice, even if not in name.” That drew a rebuke from Trump.”So sad and unfair that the FCC wouldn’t approve the Sinclair Broadcast merger with Tribune,” Trump tweeted. He said that allowing Sinclair to expand its reach would have led to a “much needed conservative voice by and for the people.” Sinclair operates 192 stations, runs 611 channels and operates in 89 U.S. markets. It would have been able to expand rapidly into numerous new markets with the Tribune acquisition.advertisementSinclair has become a significant outlet for conservative views.It was admonished by media watchdogs in April after Deadspin, a sports news site, pieced together clips of dozens of TV anchors for Sinclair reading from the same script, which warned viewers about “biased and false news” from other media outlets.Sinclair has defended the decision to have its anchors read from the same script across the country as a way to distinguish its news shows from unreliable stories on social media.The Maryland company said Thursday in a prepared statement that the Tribune lawsuit is “entirely without merit.” “We unequivocally stand by our position that we did not mislead the FCC with respect to the transaction or act in any way other than with complete candor and transparency,” said CEO Chris Ripley.Free media advocacy groups cheered the demise of the deal.Public Knowledge, an advocacy group that has been critical of the FCC under Pai, has been against a tie up between Sinclair and Tribune from the start.”While what has apparently killed this deal was Sinclair’s pattern of deception at the FCC a fact that should affect its future dealings at the Commission the deal was bad on its own merits, and this latest development is good for consumers,” said Phillip Berenbroick, senior policy counsel at the organization. “Broadcasters are supposed to serve their local communities. This deal would have contributed to the trend where ‘local’ news and ‘local’ programming is created or scripted out of town.” (AP) PMSPMSlast_img read more

10 months ago​Man City hesitate on making January acquisitions

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say ​Man City hesitate on making January acquisitionsby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City are hesitating on transfers this winter.The Citizens are facing some issues in the team, especially with Fernandinho injured.They have lost three of the last four league games to Chelsea, Crystal Palace and Leicester City.But The Times claims that City are not going to invest in the team this winter.The board and coaching staff believes that City can catch up to the Reds with the squad they have.It is known that manager Pep Guardiola wants a central midfielder to compete with Fernandinho.But it appears he will have to wait until the summer to get that player last_img read more

10 days agoSouthampton want transfer guru to replace Ross Wilson

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Southampton want transfer guru to replace Ross Wilsonby Paul Vegas10 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveSouthampton will seek to replace Ross Wilson after his departure for Rangers.Wilson, who had been director of football operations at St Mary’s, has officially left Saints to head north of the border after four years on the south coast and is expected to take up a similar role at Ibrox. The Daily Echo says Saints are comfortable with the structure they have and the personnel leading the other areas of the club, but feel they need a proven expert in player trading.There is clearly much work to be done to the squad to restore Saints to a team regularly battling for the top ten, starting with shifting on a large amount of deadwood while also trying to bring in enough quality within their budget to improve.Saints remain committed to manager Ralph Hasenhuttl and are fully bought into his plans and vision for the squad and are now seeking the right person to deliver for him. last_img read more

Texas Rangers Twitter Account Tweets Out “Fire Charlie” During Longhorns Blowout Loss

first_imgTexas Rangers tweet Fire Charlie.Twitter/@Charlie_BurrisThe Texas Longhorns are in full meltdown mode. Following back-to-back awful losses due to special teams gaffes, the Longhorns are losing to TCU 50-7 late in the fourth quarter. During halftime, freshman cornerback Kris Boyd retweeted a message about transferring to Texas A&M, and now the Texas Rangers are jumping on the “Fire Charlie Strong” bandwagon. Or, at least one rogue social media manager is upset about the game, and was on the wrong Twitter account.Hey, what did I ever do to you @Rangers? pic.twitter.com/5OgWkUOVMi— Charlie Burris (@Charlie_Burris) October 3, 2015The tweet was deleted very quickly, but not before the internet captured it for all of eternity. There have been better college football Saturdays in Austin, that’s for sure.last_img read more

PRRD accepting applications for grants and scholarships

first_imgCompleted applications are to be returned by email to the regional district by October 31st.Applications are also being accepted by the Peace River Regional District’s Economic Development grant program and the Trails Grant Program.Grant applications for the first category are being accepted from registered BC non-profit societies in the region for capital projects, events, and/or programs. The PRRD said that organizations may request up to 3 years of funding for ongoing projects/programs.Completed applications need to be returned by email to the regional district by October 15th.The Trails Grant Program is meant to provide support and supplemental funding to non-profit organizations for the development, maintenance and improvement of recreational trails within the region for public use.Completed applications need to be returned by email to the regional district by November 15th, 2018. For more info, visit https://prrd.bc.ca/services/grants/ DAWSON CREEK, B.C. – The Peace River Regional District announced this week that it has begun accepting applications for several scholarships and grants which are due this fall.The PRRD said that applications are being accepted for its Registered Nurse/Registered Psychiatric Nurse Scholarship Program, which provides up to $5000 to 6 students.To be eligible, students must be enrolled in the final year of their nursing program and must agree on two years of employment with Northern Health within in the PRRD area.last_img read more

Bright sunny Sunday in Delhi, average AQI 278

first_imgNew Delhi: It was a bright and sunny Sunday morning in here with the minimum temperature recorded three notches below normal at 13.8 degrees Celsius, and the average air quality index touching 280. “The day will remain clear,” an India Meteorological Department (IMD) official said. The maximum temperature was likely to hover around 27 degrees Celsius. At 8.30 a.m. humidity was recorded at 74 per cent. According to the air quality data provided by the Delhi Pollution Control Committee (Government of NCT of Delhi) the average Air Quality Index was 278.86 with the worst air in Mundka area (413). Saturday’s maximum and minimum temperatures were recorded at 26.4 and 15.4 degrees Celsius, respectively.last_img read more

If Modi wins, there will be no poll after 2019: CM

first_imgNEW DELHI: Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Sunday claimed that if the BJP forms the next government at the Centre, Narendra Modi will become prime minister of the country forever as there will be no election after the 2019 polls. Kejriwal said he is convinced that if the Modi government wins the 2019 elections then these would be the last elections and they will change the constitution, just as Sakshi Maharaj has claimed.While making the allegations, Kejriwal appealed to the people to ensure the defeat of the saffron party. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder”Today, every patriot should have only one motive to stop the Modi government from coming back to power again at any cost… if they (BJP) come to power in 2019, he (Modi) will be the prime minister forever,” he said. If Modi becomes the prime minister again, there will be no election in the country, warned Kejriwal. He was speaking at a function to unveil a book “Vada Faramoshi”, a compilation of replies under the Right to Information Act to queries on the Central government’s works. The book was written by Neeraj Kumar, Sanjoy Basu and Shashi Shekhar. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsHe said that the present situation of the country is scary because when a citizen asks questions or raises his voice against the government, he is termed as “anti-national”. Commenting on the recent viral video of a Muslim family being brutally beaten by goons, he said that it is being done in the name of Hindutva although nowhere in Hindu religion is written to beat the Muslims or for that matter anyone. Comparing the situation to the one prevailing in Germany during Hitler’s rule where people were beaten publicly if they raised their voices against Hitler’s regime, he said “we are facing the same conditions in our country today. Minorities are beaten up if they ask any questions about the government and its actions.” The chief minister made the claim referring to the recent incident involving a “brutal” attack on the members of Muslim family in Gurugram, and said the people from minority community were being “beaten up, harassed and murdered today without any fault”. “Today, anyone who questions the Modi government is labelled an ‘anti-national’,” he added. The seven Lok Sabha seats in Delhi will go to polls on May 12.last_img read more

Overtime work culture a ‘huge blessing’: Chinese Alibaba founder Jack Ma

first_imgSHANGHAI: Alibaba Group founder and billionaire Jack Ma has defended the gruelling overtime work culture at many of China’s tech companies, calling it a “huge blessing” for young workers. The e-commerce magnate weighed into a debate about work-life balance and the overtime hours demanded by some companies as the sector slows after years of breakneck growth. In a speech to Alibaba employees, Ma defended the industry’s ‘996’ work schedule, which refers to the 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. workday, six days a week. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscal”I personally think that being able to work 996 is a huge blessing,” he said in remarks posted on the company’s WeChat account. “Many companies and many people don’t have the opportunity to work 996,” Ma said. “If you don’t work 996 when you are young, when can you ever work 996?” The issue has fuelled an online debate and protests on some coding platforms, where workers have swapped examples of excessive overtime demands at some companies. Ma, a former English teacher who co-founded Alibaba in 1999 and has become one of China’s richest people, said he and early employees regularly worked long hours. Also Read – Food grain output seen at 140.57 mt in current fiscal on monsoon boost”In this world, everyone wants success, wants a nice life, wants to be respected,” Ma said. “Let me ask everyone, if you don’t put out more time and energy than others, how can you achieve the success you want?” Ma referred to the tech industry where some people are without jobs, or working at companies in search of revenue or facing closure. “Compared to them, up to this day, I still feel lucky, I don’t regret (working 12 hour days), I would never change this part of me,” he said. This month activists on Microsoft’s GitHub, the online code repository site, launched a project titled “996.ICU” where tech workers listed Alibaba among the companies ranked as having some of the worst working conditions. On Thursday, an opinion piece published in a state newspaper argued that 996 violated China’s Labor Law, which stipulates that average work hours cannot exceed 40 hours a week. “Creating a corporate culture of ‘encouraged overtime’ will not only not help a business’ core competitiveness, it might inhibit and damage a company’s ability to innovate,” the unnamed author wrote in the People’s Daily.last_img read more

With popular dialogues, Sunny begins Gurdaspur campaign

first_imgGurdaspur (Punjab), April 29 (IANS) With his popular dialogues “Yeh dhai kilo ka haathi hai” and “Hindustan Zindabad Tha, Zindabad hai aur Zindabad Rahega” to lure people, Bollywood actor Sunny Deol started his campaign for the Gurdaspur Lok Sabha seat on Monday after filling his nomination papers as the Bharatiya Janata Party candidate. Filing his nomination under his real name of Ajay Singh Dharmendra Deol, Sunny Deol declared assets worth Rs 87 crore. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra Singh This includes movable assets of Rs 66.19 crore, including cash in hand of Rs 42 lakhs with him and his wife. He has declared immovable assets of Rs 21 crore. At the time of filling if his nomination papers, the 62-year-old actor was accompanied by his actor brother Bobby Deol and Punjab BJP President Shwait Malik. Sunny Deol and other BJP leaders later addressed a rally in Gurdaspur town where the actor spoke for about four minutes and recited his popular dailogues from his hit films “Gadar”, “Damini” and “Border”. “I am new in the field of politics but I can assure you that I will work for the development of the Gurdaspur constituency,” he said. Sunny Deol faces tough competition from the sitting Congress MP and Punjab Congress President Sunil Kumar Jakhar.last_img read more

Urban Meyer Ohio State quarterbacks always talking in practice

Redshirt-sophomore quarterback J.T. Barrett (left), redshirt-junior quarterback Cardale Jones and redshirt-senior quarterback Braxton Miller share a laugh during OSU’s national championship celebration on Jan. 24 at Ohio Stadium.Credit: Mark Batke / Photo editorWhen two recent Heisman Trophy candidates and the reigning National Championship starter play quarterback for the same team, things could get ugly.But at Ohio State, “it’s all positive” between redshirt-senior Braxton Miller, redshirt-sophomore J.T. Barrett and redshirt-junior Cardale Jones, coach Urban Meyer said Tuesday.“If you watch the three of them, they’re always talking,” Meyer said.Miller — who has been in the top-10 in Heisman voting twice — was the undisputed starter heading into fall camp in 2014, but he tore the labrum in his throwing shoulder less than two weeks before the season started. That paved the way for Barrett to take the reigns of the OSU offense. After losing to Virginia Tech in his second start, the Wichita Falls, Texas, native led the Buckeyes to 10 straight wins.But Barrett ended up fracturing his ankle in the regular-season finale against Michigan, forcing him to miss the Buckeyes’ postseason run. Injury and all, he ended up in fifth place in Heisman voting.Jones replaced Barrett for the Big Ten Championship and the College Football Playoff, and picked up a 3-0 record as he led OSU to a national title.Now just three practices into spring camp, the trio is locked in an open competition for the starting job next season.Even though they’re competing every day, Meyer said the players have been supporting each other in practice.“I just happened to turn around and Braxton and J.T. are talking about football,” Meyer said. “And I saw Braxton walk up and hit Cardale, you know, tap him, ‘Nice job.’ And I just see that, that’s not common.”While the players are technically all in the race for playing time, only Jones is fully fit. Miller is still recovering from his shoulder surgery while Barrett’s ankle isn’t yet completely healed.Meyer said OSU’s medical staff has pulled back on Miller, but stressed that was for precautionary reasons. He added that Barrett has been ahead of schedule so far this spring.“J.T. is doing good, he’s doing more,” Meyer said. “I thought he would be much more limited but he’s getting every mini field and 7-on-7 rep.”As Barrett and Miller continue the rehabilitation process and Jones continues to grind, Meyer said, in general, everything is positive when it comes to his options at quarterback.“Talent, quality people, value to the program, investment in the program,” Meyer said. “Check, check, check, check.”But with all the positivity, there’s just one problem: Only one quarterback takes the field at a time.“It’s not like receiver where you can put three of them out there,” Meyer said. “That’s the only thing that’s starting to eat away at me a little bit.”Regardless of who ends up winning the battle, the Buckeyes are set to take the field against Virginia Tech on Sept. 7 in Blacksburg, Va., to kick off the 2015 season. read more