• Home
  • Tag: 阿拉爱上海北京

French TV anchors join protest for RSF’s jailed Algeria correspondent

first_img Help by sharing this information September 8, 2020 French TV anchors join protest for RSF’s jailed Algeria correspondent AlgeriaFranceMiddle East – North Africa Europe – Central Asia Activities in the fieldCondemning abuses ImprisonedFreedom of expression News Iran is stepping up pressure on journalists, including foreign journalists, in run-up to election Ten French television presenters joined Reporters Without Borders (RSF) in demonstrating outside the Algerian embassy in Paris this morning in support of RSF’s jailed Algeria correspondent, Khaled Drareni, whose appeal against a prison sentence is due to be heard in Algiers tomorrow. RSF_en De la Villardière said: “Khaled Drareni is young, talented and admirable. He chose to stay in Algeria. He is one of those courageous Algerian journalists who are fighting for freedom of expression in their country.”Coudray said: “Khaled has become the symbol of the noble cause that is press freedom. Like all of my colleagues here today, I stand in solidarity with Khaled and I hope our support will help to end the injustice to which he is being subjected.”Three of France’ best-known TV presenters – Christine Ockrent, Patrick Poivre d’Arvor and David Pujadas – were unable to take part in the demonstration in person but expressed their support in videos posted on RSF’s social media channels.The charges on which Drareni was convicted were “inciting an unarmed gathering” and “endangering national unity.” As well as a jail term, he was fined 50,000 dinars.Two other demonstrations in support of Drareni were held simultaneously this morning in Tunis and Algiers at the request of RSF and local organizations.Algeria is ranked 146th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index, five places lower than in 2019 and 27 places lower than in 2015. Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 News June 11, 2021 Find out more RSF joins Middle East and North Africa coalition to combat digital surveillance center_img News Receive email alerts to go further Drareni, who is also the French TV channel TV5 Monde’s correspondent, was sentenced to three years in prison on 10 August for covering the “Hirak” anti-government protests in Algeria. He has been jailed since late March.The ten presenters taking part in today’s demonstration at the joint request of RSF and the Khaled Drareni support committee were Marie-Laure Augry, Gilles Bouleau, Daphné Burki, Anne-Claire Coudray, Laurent Delahousse, Françoise Joly, Mohammed Kaci, Guy Lagache, Harry Roselmack and Bernard de la Villardière.“We are gathered here on the eve of Khaled Drareni’s appeal hearing to request his release,” RSF secretary-general Christophe Deloire said. “By sentencing Khaled to three years in prison, Algeria is violating not only its international obligations and its own constitution but also the ideals of  Algeria’s independence. The Algerian authorities wanted to make an example of Khaled Drareni in order to intimidate all journalists. In so doing, they have turned him into a symbol of resistance against censorship.” AlgeriaFranceMiddle East – North Africa Europe – Central Asia Activities in the fieldCondemning abuses ImprisonedFreedom of expression June 9, 2021 Find out more News Follow the news on Middle East – North Africa Organisation June 8, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Jailed #Limerick driver suing over fatal accident he denies causing

first_imgNewsJailed #Limerick driver suing over fatal accident he denies causingBy Staff Reporter – April 21, 2016 1156 RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Email WhatsApp Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Advertisement Linkedin The previously jailed driver is suing the MIBI at the High Court in #LimerickA #LIMERICK man who was jailed for dangerous driving causing the death of a teenager almost ten years, is suing the Motor Insurance Bureau of Ireland (MIBI) for damages at the High Court as he argues the accident would not have happened if he wasn’t “violently rammed” from behind by the uninsured driver of a high powered BMW who fled the scene.Gearóid Cleary, of Ballinacurra Gardens, Limerick, was 25 when he was found guilty by a jury of dangerous driving causing the death of 19-year-old Emma Woodland on Mulgrave Street on September 9, 2006.During the criminal trial, it was the State’s case that although Latvian national Roman Andreas pleaded guilty to dangerously driving the BMW and causing the death of Ms Woodland, this did not exonerate Gearoid Cleary, who, they claimed, was also driving too fast on the night of the fatal accident.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Shortly before midnight on September 9, 2006, Mr Cleary’s Honda Integra was propelled into a Toyota Starlet carrying Ms Woodland and driving it into a wall some 40ft after impact.The Starlet was crossing the main road ahead of Mr Cleary who claimed that it would have crossed safely had he not been rear-ended by Roman Andreas.Ms Woodland who was a back-seat passenger in the Starlet died from head injuries she received in the collision.Roman Andreas fled the scene but was later identified and pleaded guilty to causing the death of Ms Woodland.Criminal lawyers for Mr Cleary argued that he was not responsible for the teenager’s death and that Ms Woodland died as a result of Roman Andreas rear-ending Mr Cleary at speed.The trial also heard that Roman Andreas was twice the legal alcohol limit and he was jailed for three years and later absconded to Eastern Europe.Mr Cleary, who contested the criminal case before a jury found him guilty, was sentenced to four years in prison. Both men were banned from driving for ten years.This Wednesday before Mr Justice Brian Cregan at the High Court in Limerick, Mr Cleary opened civil proceedings against the MIBI for what his counsel, Gerry Tynan SC, said were significant damages the Limerick man was entitled to.Mr Cleary is claiming that he was not the cause of the accident and should be compensated for the back injuries he suffered in the accident and for the ongoing “depression, shock and upset he has suffered to this day because of the loss of the life he has been blamed for”.Michael Gleeson SC, counsel for the MIBI, said the defence will argue that “racing” was a factor in the fatal collision but essentially the MIBI, has been left to “pick up the pieces” as Roman Andrew absconded.The case is expected to last three days and will hear evidence from expert witnesses including Garda PSV forensic collision investigator, Mike Reddy, who attended the scene in 2006. Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live center_img Twitter TAGSfeaturedGearoid Clearyhigh courtlimerickMIBIsuing for compensation Facebook Previous articleDemocracy celebrated at Limerick Spring FestivalNext articleGrandparents to be immortalised Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Print Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clashlast_img read more