• Home
  • Tag: 全国鲜花配送 模特

RSF calls for justice after South Sudanese journalist’s body found

first_img to go further August 25, 2020 Find out more News Receive email alerts August 21, 2020 Find out more RSF_en Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is appalled to learn that freelance journalist Isaac Vuni’s body was found on 26 September, four months after his abduction, and calls on South Sudan’s authorities to shed all possible light on his murder. News South SudanAfrica Condemning abuses Impunity Vuni’s relatives told the independent Sudan Tribunenewspaper that his body was discovered on a farm outside Kerepi, thevillage where his family lives, located in the north of the countrynear the Ugandan border.Gunmen kidnapped Vuni and his brother Andruga from the family’shome on the night of 4 June. A witness told the South Sudan Liberty News website at the time that the abductors wore the samemilitary dress as members of the “Tiger Battalion,” PresidentSalva Kiir’s bodyguards. It seems that Vuni was killed shortly after his abduction, whichwas never claimed. His brother has yet to be found.Vuni, who often wrote for the Sudan Tribune, had been undersurveillance by the South Sudanese security forces for years. He wasarrested in Juba on 29 July 2009 after reporting that members of theSudan People’s Liberation Army and the South Sudanese governmentwere implicated in a financial scandal.He was beaten while held incommunicado in a Juba police stationfrom 28 March to 2 May 2011, during a crackdown on South Sudan’sjournalists.“We condemn Isaac Vuni’s foul murder and call on theauthorities to conduct an investigation to identify those responsibleand bring them to justice,” said Cléa Kahn Sriber, the head ofRSF’s Africa desk.“The authorities distinguished themselves by their silence atthe time of his abduction. Their silence cannot continue. They mustput an end to the widespread impunity prevailing in South Sudan,which makes this kind of abuse possible.”Journalists and media outlets have constantly been the targets ofviolence since the start of the civil war in 2013. The South Sudaneseauthorities, and the intelligence services in particular, often holdjournalists incommunicado in an attempt to silence the media.As RSF has already reported, Radio Miraya’s George Livio has been held incommunicado in Juba for more than two years, while newspaper editorAlfred Taban was held incommunicado for 13 days in July Alfred Taban was held incommunicado for 13 days in July after publishing anarticle calling on the authorities to implement the peace accord.South Sudan is ranked 140th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2016 World Press Freedom Index, 15 places lower than its position in the2015 Index. Organisation December 23, 2020 Find out morecenter_img News News Online memorial and writing prize launched to mark 30th birthday of slain journalist Christopher Allen South SudanAfrica Condemning abuses Impunity September 28, 2016 RSF calls for justice after South Sudanese journalist’s body found RSF welcomes UN Special Rapporteur’s statement calling for justice for Christopher Allen three years on Follow the news on South Sudan Crédit : Anadolu Agency / Getty Images Red alert for green journalism – 10 environmental reporters killed in five years Help by sharing this information last_img read more

Magazine editor sentenced to six months in prison

first_img June 13, 2019 Find out more Reports RSF_en Reporters Without Borders today protested against the six-month prison sentence imposed on 9 August on journalist and Member of Parliament Njehu Gatabaki, editor of the magazine Finance. He was convicted of publishing a “false and alarming report” in December 1997 that accused President Daniel Arap Moi of having instigated ethnic bloodshed in Molo shortly before the1992 elections in which some 1,500 people died.”This journalist has been the target of veritable harassment by the President, and his imprisonment, soon after the adoption of a new law on the press, bodes ill for the future of press freedom in Kenya”, Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard said in a letter to President Moi calling for Gatabaki’s immediate release and the withdrawal of all the charges against him.The 1997 article, entitled “Moi ordered Molo massacre”, alleged that President Moi gave the orders for members of his own ethnic group, the Kalenjin, to attack members of the Kikuyu community in the Molo area resulting in clashes in which many Kikuyu died. The court found the article liable to alarm the population and threaten civil peace. The judge said she was imposing an exemplary sentence because its was Gatabaki’s job, as an MP, to make the laws, not break them.Gatabaki, who stands by the article, has 14 days to appeal. Nonetheless, he has already been jailed in the Kamiti high security prison. He was originally detained on 4 December 1997 but was released on bail pending trial, originally scheduled for February 1998. The sluggishness of the Kenyan judicial system seem to have been responsible for the trial delays. The magazine Finance is one of the few forums of expression for opposition politicians in Kenya. August 14, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Magazine editor sentenced to six months in prison KenyaAfrica KenyaAfrica Receive email alerts November 27, 2020 Find out more News Newscenter_img The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa Follow the news on Kenya News Help by sharing this information April 6, 2020 Find out more to go further Covid-19 in Africa: RSF joins a coalition of civil society organizations to demand the release of imprisoned journalists on the continent Kenyan media group trolled by pro-ruling party activists Organisation last_img read more

Meagre rate reduction agreed

first_imgA 0.5% reduction in the commercial rate has been unanimously agreed by all of the city councillors, following its proposal by Cllr Diarmuid Scully.The €153,311 saving to pay for this comes from a reduction of that amount in the provision for lump sum payments to retiring members of City Council staff.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Cllr John Gilligan had proposed an increase in the rate by 1% to fund repairs to the water supply in St Mary’s Park but withdrew his proposal when he was given an assurance by the city manager that St Mary’s Park would be dealt with as a matter of priority within the existing budget.Cllr Joe Leddin, who proposed a reduction of 1% in the rate, failed to identify any savings and did not get a seconder to his motion. Advertisement Twitter Previous articleFinal section of M7 opens unceremoniouslyNext articleShortt’s ‘quit’ plea falls on deaf ears admin NewsLocal NewsMeagre rate reduction agreedBy admin – December 23, 2010 384 Linkedincenter_img Facebook Email Print WhatsApplast_img read more

BCCI gets Mohammed Shami’s Visa Approved

first_imgNew Delhi: The US visa of Indian pacer Mohammed Shami, who is part of the India squad for the upcoming West Indies tour, got rejected initially because of his existing police record and charges of domestic violence. However, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) intervened to get the issue sorted and the visa was given to the fast bowler. Speaking to IANS, a senior BCCI functionary said that Shami’s visa had been rejected due to the police records after the family problems that the player had gone through, but the board wrote to the embassy and the matter was cleared. “There was some issue with the police verification part as he was involved in a problem with his wife. But the BCCI then wrote to the embassy and the matter was sorted,” the functionary said. IANSAlso Read: BCCI Officials Want Ravi Shastri To Continue As Head Coachlast_img read more