• Home
  • Tag: 乐上海 上海普陀区油压哪家舒服

EU is set for its own sub-prime crisis

first_img Show Comments ▼ by Taboolaby TaboolaSponsored LinksSponsored LinksPromoted LinksPromoted LinksYou May LikeTotal PastThe Ingenious Reason There Are No Mosquitoes At Disney WorldTotal PastMisterStoryWoman Files For Divorce After Seeing This Photo – Can You See Why?MisterStorySenior Living | Search AdsNew Senior Apartments Coming to Scottsdale (Take A Look at The Prices)Senior Living | Search AdsMoneyPailShe Was Famous, Now She Works In {State}MoneyPailSerendipity TimesInside Coco Chanel’s Eerily Abandoned Mansion Frozen In TimeSerendipity Timesmoneycougar.comThis Proves The Osmonds Weren’t So Innocentmoneycougar.comDrivepedia20 Of The Most Underrated Vintage CarsDrivepediaLuxury SUVs | Search AdsThese Cars Are So Loaded It’s Hard to Believe They’re So CheapLuxury SUVs | Search AdsBetterBeDrones Capture Images No One Was Suppose to SeeBetterBe EU is set for its own sub-prime crisis HUMAN beings have an infinite capacity for self-delusion, especially when it comes to matters financial. I still remember how, in late 2006 and early 2007, all too few investors, financiers, commentators and regulators wanted to believe that the US property market was in the early stages of a crash or that there was anything to panic about. Fewer still thought that the consequences would be bad, let alone were predicting the cataclysmic crisis that followed.It sometimes seems that the same is true again with Eurozone debt. I’m not suggesting that it will necessarily cause another full-blown crisis or recession, though there is an increasing chance that it will, albeit not this year. But what I find strange is why otherwise rational people still believe that another bail-out or three, combined with a bit of pressure on countries to balance their budgets, will be enough to allow the crisis to go away. There is absolutely no chance of that. The problem is massive – the analogy with sub-prime American mortgages is perfect, on all levels.Greek debt is too high, the interest rates it has to pay too elevated, its underlying economy too feeble – it is now in a vicious circle from which only bankruptcy can deliver it. Greece will default – it is merely a question of when and what proportion of their debt the bondholders will lose. A third, equally important question, is whether Greece will become the first country to quit the euro and maybe even the EU – either because it is kicked out, or because its electorate refuses to become a EU protectorate and walks out of its own accord. Greek five-year credit default swaps imply a 60 per cent probability of a default at some point over the next five years, with a one in five chance over the next year, based on a 40 per cent recovery rate. One Moody’s executive suggested that bondholders will suffer a 50-70 per cent haircut. This makes sense: just to bring Greece’s debt to GDP ratio back to the supposedly binding but laughably ineffective Maastricht limit of 60 per cent of GDP would require a 62 per cent haircut. The official, on-balance sheet Greek national debt is €340bn: local banks and funds own €80bn of this, the European Central Bank (ECB) has €50bn and much of the rest is held by European banks and financial institutions. A 62 per cent write-off would mean a loss of €211bn. This would wipe out most Greek financial institutions, cripple the ECB and cost European banks and funds €130bn. The pain is getting closer. European banks need to raise capital in preparation; some are already doing that. A few billion won’t be enough; at least €150bn-€200bn will be necessary over the next couple of years for Eurozone financial institutions, especially if more countries begin to fall. British banks are largely in the clear from Greece; their real problems would start if Spain begins to falter too.European politicians and regulators must study other sovereign defaults of the past 25 years to figure out how best to manage. One option would be a European version of the Brady bonds, issued when Latin American countries went bust in the 1980s.Last but not least, the European establishment needs to accept that the single currency and the EU’s model of economic management has failed as badly as sub-prime mortgages failed in the US. Unless Europe accepts that its experiment is ending in tears, no progress will ever be possible. [email protected] me on Twitter: @allisterheath Share whatsappcenter_img More From Our Partners Florida woman allegedly crashes children’s birthday party, rapes teennypost.comPolice Capture Elusive Tiger Poacher After 20 Years of Pursuing the Huntergoodnewsnetwork.orgA ProPublica investigation has caused outrage in the U.S. this weekvaluewalk.comNative American Tribe Gets Back Sacred Island Taken 160 Years Agogoodnewsnetwork.orgRussell Wilson, AOC among many voicing support for Naomi Osakacbsnews.comBrave 7-Year-old Boy Swims an Hour to Rescue His Dad and Little Sistergoodnewsnetwork.orgMark Eaton, former NBA All-Star, dead at 64nypost.comAstounding Fossil Discovery in California After Man Looks Closelygoodnewsnetwork.orgSupermodel Anne Vyalitsyna claims income drop, pushes for child supportnypost.comInside Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis’ not-so-average farmhouse estatenypost.com‘Neighbor from hell’ faces new charges after scaring off home buyersnypost.comBiden received funds from top Russia lobbyist before Nord Stream 2 giveawaynypost.com980-foot skyscraper sways in China, prompting panic and evacuationsnypost.comMatt Gaetz swindled by ‘malicious actors’ in $155K boat sale boondogglenypost.comKiller drone ‘hunted down a human target’ without being told tonypost.comConnecticut man dies after crashing Harley into live bearnypost.comI blew off Adam Sandler 22 years ago — and it’s my biggest regretnypost.comUK teen died on school trip after teachers allegedly refused her pleasnypost.com KCS-content whatsapp Tags: NULL Sunday 17 April 2011 11:24 pmlast_img read more