NewsJailed #Limerick driver suing over fatal accident he denies causingBy Staff Reporter – April 21, 2016 1156 RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Email WhatsApp Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Advertisement Linkedin The previously jailed driver is suing the MIBI at the High Court in #LimerickA #LIMERICK man who was jailed for dangerous driving causing the death of a teenager almost ten years, is suing the Motor Insurance Bureau of Ireland (MIBI) for damages at the High Court as he argues the accident would not have happened if he wasn’t “violently rammed” from behind by the uninsured driver of a high powered BMW who fled the scene.Gearóid Cleary, of Ballinacurra Gardens, Limerick, was 25 when he was found guilty by a jury of dangerous driving causing the death of 19-year-old Emma Woodland on Mulgrave Street on September 9, 2006.During the criminal trial, it was the State’s case that although Latvian national Roman Andreas pleaded guilty to dangerously driving the BMW and causing the death of Ms Woodland, this did not exonerate Gearoid Cleary, who, they claimed, was also driving too fast on the night of the fatal accident.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Shortly before midnight on September 9, 2006, Mr Cleary’s Honda Integra was propelled into a Toyota Starlet carrying Ms Woodland and driving it into a wall some 40ft after impact.The Starlet was crossing the main road ahead of Mr Cleary who claimed that it would have crossed safely had he not been rear-ended by Roman Andreas.Ms Woodland who was a back-seat passenger in the Starlet died from head injuries she received in the collision.Roman Andreas fled the scene but was later identified and pleaded guilty to causing the death of Ms Woodland.Criminal lawyers for Mr Cleary argued that he was not responsible for the teenager’s death and that Ms Woodland died as a result of Roman Andreas rear-ending Mr Cleary at speed.The trial also heard that Roman Andreas was twice the legal alcohol limit and he was jailed for three years and later absconded to Eastern Europe.Mr Cleary, who contested the criminal case before a jury found him guilty, was sentenced to four years in prison. Both men were banned from driving for ten years.This Wednesday before Mr Justice Brian Cregan at the High Court in Limerick, Mr Cleary opened civil proceedings against the MIBI for what his counsel, Gerry Tynan SC, said were significant damages the Limerick man was entitled to.Mr Cleary is claiming that he was not the cause of the accident and should be compensated for the back injuries he suffered in the accident and for the ongoing “depression, shock and upset he has suffered to this day because of the loss of the life he has been blamed for”.Michael Gleeson SC, counsel for the MIBI, said the defence will argue that “racing” was a factor in the fatal collision but essentially the MIBI, has been left to “pick up the pieces” as Roman Andrew absconded.The case is expected to last three days and will hear evidence from expert witnesses including Garda PSV forensic collision investigator, Mike Reddy, who attended the scene in 2006. Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Twitter TAGSfeaturedGearoid Clearyhigh courtlimerickMIBIsuing for compensation Facebook Previous articleDemocracy celebrated at Limerick Spring FestivalNext articleGrandparents to be immortalised Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Print Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Southampton want transfer guru to replace Ross Wilsonby Paul Vegas10 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveSouthampton will seek to replace Ross Wilson after his departure for Rangers.Wilson, who had been director of football operations at St Mary’s, has officially left Saints to head north of the border after four years on the south coast and is expected to take up a similar role at Ibrox. The Daily Echo says Saints are comfortable with the structure they have and the personnel leading the other areas of the club, but feel they need a proven expert in player trading.There is clearly much work to be done to the squad to restore Saints to a team regularly battling for the top ten, starting with shifting on a large amount of deadwood while also trying to bring in enough quality within their budget to improve.Saints remain committed to manager Ralph Hasenhuttl and are fully bought into his plans and vision for the squad and are now seeking the right person to deliver for him.
FORT WORTH, TX – OCTOBER 25: The Big XII logo on a pylon at Amon G. Carter Stadium on October 25, 2014 in Fort Worth, Texas. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)Earlier today, Oklahoma president David L. Boren made headlines when he stated that he would like the Big 12 to add two schools to put the conference’s membership at 12. Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby has now commented on Boren’s statement. He wasn’t very surprised by it. Bob Bowlsby: “We talk about membership at ever meeting. I think our presidents individually have their own opinions on things.” (more)— Chuck Carlton (@ChuckCarltonDMN) June 24, 2015Bowlsby (more): “President Boren expressed his today. … His comments are not troubling. This is out there. ,,, (more)— Chuck Carlton (@ChuckCarltonDMN) June 24, 2015Bowlsby (cont): “I have not gotten the indication that the majority of our presidents feel that way. … (more)— Chuck Carlton (@ChuckCarltonDMN) June 24, 2015Bowlsby (cont): “I get the feeling that nothing has changed since we last discussed it.”— Chuck Carlton (@ChuckCarltonDMN) June 24, 2015Bowlsby said at some point majority in Big 12 may feel “that we should get bigger. I have not heard at this point that they feel that way.”— Chuck Carlton (@ChuckCarltonDMN) June 24, 2015Which teams would you want added to your conference, Big 12 fans?
The latest issue of AARP The Magazine features Viola Davis’ rags-to-riches story of how she got to where she is today and why giving back now means everything to her.Viola Davis AARP The Magazine CoverCredit/Copyright: prepare2.rrd.comViola Davis, star of ABC’s hit series How to Get Away with Murder, grew up in Rhode Island in a household of eight that could barely afford to eat even one meal a day. In a revealing interview with AARP The Magazine, Davis shares her thoughts on the crippling effects that growing up poor and hungry have on young people today and relates it back to her early years, when she faced the same adversity. Additionally, from the love she now shares with her husband and young daughter to the luxuries she never dreamed of affording, the two-time Oscar nominee reflects on her achievements, biggest anxieties and the determination that has led to her greatest successes.On growing up poor and the hatred that people projected towards her because of it: ”Most of the time, the school lunch was the only meal I had. I would befriend kids whose mothers cooked three meals a day and go to their homes when I could.”“People would throw things out of cars and call us the N-word. It was constant.”On the things she has now that she thought she’d never have: ”Having a house! When you grow up poor, you dream of just having a home, and a bed that’s clean—that’s a sanctuary. Having a really great husband, a child who’s healthy and happy and brings me joy — all of that has been my dream.”“As kids, we often didn’t have bus fare, so to have a car today — it’s unbelievable to me.”On being asked to be the spokesperson for the “Hunger Is” campaign (hungeris.org): ”I’ve been so focused on my child, my husband and my career that I never thought of the last step, which is giving back.”For the complete interview, along with behind-the-scenes video and images, check out aarp.org/magazine.
UPDATE – Dec 24, 2018 – The RCMP confirmed that the 49-year-old male reported missing has been located, and he is safe and sound. Thanks to the media and public for your assistance.DAWSON CREEK, B.C. – The Dawson Creek RCMP are requesting the public’s assistance in locating a missing Dawson Creek man.Kenneth Law, 49 years old, was reported missing to the Dawson Creek RCMP on December 11th, when he was last seen at the hospital. Law has had sporadic contact with family but has not revealed his location. The Dawson Creek RCMP are concerned about Law’s well being as he may require medication.LAW is described as:CaucasianSkinny buildThinning grey hair5’10Blue eyesLast seen wearing:Black toqueBlack jacketBlack sweatpantsWhite runnersBlack carry on suitcaseBlue backpackAnyone with information on Law’s location is requested to contact the Dawson Creek RCMP at 250-784-3700 or if you wish to remain anonymous please contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
New Delhi: The Congress on Saturday hit out at the government over the British media reports on Nirav Modi and alleged that Prime Minister Narendra Modi is running a “fraudster settlement yojana”. Taking to Twitter, Congress president Rahul Gandhi said, “The video of fugitive #NiravModi in London shows an uncanny similarity between him & his bhai, PM Modi. Both have looted India and are called Modi. Both refuse to answer any questions. Both believe they are above the law. Both will face justice.” Also Read – Squadrons which participated in Balakot air strike awarded citations on IAF DayCongress’ Chief Spokesperson Randeep Surjewala said: “Fugitive Nirav Modi has been seen enjoying in London… First loot Rs 23,000 crore from banks, then run away from the country without any checks, mock the CBI and the ED, and then make a comfortable home in a Rs 75 crore flat. Modi is there, so it is possible,” he claimed. Ex-FM P Chidambaram tweeted, “When Lalit Modi stayed on in the UK, I wrote to the UK Chancellor that he should be sent back to India. Mrs Sushma Swaraj mocked me for writing letters,” he said in a tweet. Now Nirav Modi is walking on the streets of London. Will Mrs Sushma Swaraj swoop down, pluck him off the street and bring him back to India?”
New Delhi: It was a bright and sunny Sunday morning in here with the minimum temperature recorded three notches below normal at 13.8 degrees Celsius, and the average air quality index touching 280. “The day will remain clear,” an India Meteorological Department (IMD) official said. The maximum temperature was likely to hover around 27 degrees Celsius. At 8.30 a.m. humidity was recorded at 74 per cent. According to the air quality data provided by the Delhi Pollution Control Committee (Government of NCT of Delhi) the average Air Quality Index was 278.86 with the worst air in Mundka area (413). Saturday’s maximum and minimum temperatures were recorded at 26.4 and 15.4 degrees Celsius, respectively.
NEW DELHI: Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Sunday claimed that if the BJP forms the next government at the Centre, Narendra Modi will become prime minister of the country forever as there will be no election after the 2019 polls. Kejriwal said he is convinced that if the Modi government wins the 2019 elections then these would be the last elections and they will change the constitution, just as Sakshi Maharaj has claimed.While making the allegations, Kejriwal appealed to the people to ensure the defeat of the saffron party. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder”Today, every patriot should have only one motive to stop the Modi government from coming back to power again at any cost… if they (BJP) come to power in 2019, he (Modi) will be the prime minister forever,” he said. If Modi becomes the prime minister again, there will be no election in the country, warned Kejriwal. He was speaking at a function to unveil a book “Vada Faramoshi”, a compilation of replies under the Right to Information Act to queries on the Central government’s works. The book was written by Neeraj Kumar, Sanjoy Basu and Shashi Shekhar. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsHe said that the present situation of the country is scary because when a citizen asks questions or raises his voice against the government, he is termed as “anti-national”. Commenting on the recent viral video of a Muslim family being brutally beaten by goons, he said that it is being done in the name of Hindutva although nowhere in Hindu religion is written to beat the Muslims or for that matter anyone. Comparing the situation to the one prevailing in Germany during Hitler’s rule where people were beaten publicly if they raised their voices against Hitler’s regime, he said “we are facing the same conditions in our country today. Minorities are beaten up if they ask any questions about the government and its actions.” The chief minister made the claim referring to the recent incident involving a “brutal” attack on the members of Muslim family in Gurugram, and said the people from minority community were being “beaten up, harassed and murdered today without any fault”. “Today, anyone who questions the Modi government is labelled an ‘anti-national’,” he added. The seven Lok Sabha seats in Delhi will go to polls on May 12.
SHANGHAI: Alibaba Group founder and billionaire Jack Ma has defended the gruelling overtime work culture at many of China’s tech companies, calling it a “huge blessing” for young workers. The e-commerce magnate weighed into a debate about work-life balance and the overtime hours demanded by some companies as the sector slows after years of breakneck growth. In a speech to Alibaba employees, Ma defended the industry’s ‘996’ work schedule, which refers to the 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. workday, six days a week. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscal”I personally think that being able to work 996 is a huge blessing,” he said in remarks posted on the company’s WeChat account. “Many companies and many people don’t have the opportunity to work 996,” Ma said. “If you don’t work 996 when you are young, when can you ever work 996?” The issue has fuelled an online debate and protests on some coding platforms, where workers have swapped examples of excessive overtime demands at some companies. Ma, a former English teacher who co-founded Alibaba in 1999 and has become one of China’s richest people, said he and early employees regularly worked long hours. Also Read – Food grain output seen at 140.57 mt in current fiscal on monsoon boost”In this world, everyone wants success, wants a nice life, wants to be respected,” Ma said. “Let me ask everyone, if you don’t put out more time and energy than others, how can you achieve the success you want?” Ma referred to the tech industry where some people are without jobs, or working at companies in search of revenue or facing closure. “Compared to them, up to this day, I still feel lucky, I don’t regret (working 12 hour days), I would never change this part of me,” he said. This month activists on Microsoft’s GitHub, the online code repository site, launched a project titled “996.ICU” where tech workers listed Alibaba among the companies ranked as having some of the worst working conditions. On Thursday, an opinion piece published in a state newspaper argued that 996 violated China’s Labor Law, which stipulates that average work hours cannot exceed 40 hours a week. “Creating a corporate culture of ‘encouraged overtime’ will not only not help a business’ core competitiveness, it might inhibit and damage a company’s ability to innovate,” the unnamed author wrote in the People’s Daily.
Gurdaspur (Punjab), April 29 (IANS) With his popular dialogues “Yeh dhai kilo ka haathi hai” and “Hindustan Zindabad Tha, Zindabad hai aur Zindabad Rahega” to lure people, Bollywood actor Sunny Deol started his campaign for the Gurdaspur Lok Sabha seat on Monday after filling his nomination papers as the Bharatiya Janata Party candidate. Filing his nomination under his real name of Ajay Singh Dharmendra Deol, Sunny Deol declared assets worth Rs 87 crore. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra Singh This includes movable assets of Rs 66.19 crore, including cash in hand of Rs 42 lakhs with him and his wife. He has declared immovable assets of Rs 21 crore. At the time of filling if his nomination papers, the 62-year-old actor was accompanied by his actor brother Bobby Deol and Punjab BJP President Shwait Malik. Sunny Deol and other BJP leaders later addressed a rally in Gurdaspur town where the actor spoke for about four minutes and recited his popular dailogues from his hit films “Gadar”, “Damini” and “Border”. “I am new in the field of politics but I can assure you that I will work for the development of the Gurdaspur constituency,” he said. Sunny Deol faces tough competition from the sitting Congress MP and Punjab Congress President Sunil Kumar Jakhar.