• Home
  • Tag: 上海龙凤网419

Ex-Mets Owner Doubleday Dies

first_imgNEW YORK — Nelson Doubleday Jr., the publishing scion who bought the New York Mets and shepherded the team to a 1986 World Series title, has died. He was 81.His son-in-law, John Havens, said Doubleday died of pneumonia at his home in Locust Valley, New York, on June 17.Doubleday was the grandson of Frank Nelson Doubleday, who founded the publishing company in 1896 and a descendent of Abner Doubleday, the mythical inventor of baseball.After taking over the company from his father, Doubleday partnered with Fred Wilpon to become a majority owner of the last-place Mets in 1980.Doubleday hired General Manager Frank Cashen, who was the architect of the 1986 team that beat the Boston Red Sox in seven games.The series is most famously known for Bill Buckner’s critical error at first base. He let Mookie Wilson’s slow grounder go through his legs and the Mets capped a two-out rally in Game 6 with a 6-5 victory in the 10th inning at Shea Stadium.The Mets went on to win Game 7.“His life is to be celebrated. He was a wonderful man. He had a wonderful life,” former Mets star Keith Hernandez said of Doubleday on the team’s SNY broadcast.Doubleday & Co. bought the Mets from the family of founding owner Joan Payson for $21.1 million, with the company owning 95 percent of the team and Wilpon owning 5 percent.When Doubleday & Co. was sold in 1986, the publisher sold its shares of the team for $80.75 million to Wilpon and Nelson Doubleday, who became 50-50 owners.Wilpon bought out Doubleday in 2002 in an acrimonious split. They fought over the valuation of the team.Wilpon and his family bought Doubleday’s 50 percent after the team was appraised at $391 million.Last spring, Forbes estimated the Mets were worth $858 million, third in baseball behind the New York Yankees ($1.6 billion) and the Boston Red Sox ($870 million).The Mets released a statement saying, “Nelson had a love of baseball and the Mets” and they were saddened to hear the news of his death.Ex-pitcher Ron Darling, also a Mets broadcaster, said: “It’s a big loss for Keith and I. A guy that we looked up to.”(TOM McELROY)TweetPinShare0 Shareslast_img read more

NMIA Divestment to be Completed by 2019

first_img The divestment of the Norman Manley International Airport (NMIA) is scheduled to be completed by June 2019. Mr. Deidrick explained that the chosen operator should be able to fulfil three critical requirements for qualification – financial strength to expand and operate the facility, technical competence to do the required construction and expansion, as well as airport operating competence and expertise. The disclosure was made by President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Airports Authority of Jamaica and NMIA Airports Ltd., Audley Deidrick, in an interview with JIS News. The divestment of the Norman Manley International Airport (NMIA) is scheduled to be completed by June 2019.The disclosure was made by President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Airports Authority of Jamaica and NMIA Airports Ltd., Audley Deidrick, in an interview with JIS News.Outlining the stages that have been completed to date, he informed that, “earlier this year, eight bidders were pre-qualified for the transaction, and the bidding stage was launched in June.Since that time, we had a major bidders’ conference in September, where five of the eight bidders showed”.Mr. Deidrick explained that the bidders went through a series of presentations, and the enterprise team fielded questions from them and heard concerns and issues that they wanted to see contemplated in the transaction.“Since then, they have submitted their formal requests for these matters to be considered. We are currently going through the process of assessing those requests to see what we will accept and what we will reject. Suffice it to say that they remain very actively and positively engaged,” he noted.Mr. Deidrick told JIS News that the final draft of the concession agreement is being vetted by the enterprise team, to be sent back to the bidders after review by the team, the lenders and the Cabinet.“We expect after this process that the bid launch will take place in February of 2018, and given a 30-day turnaround for the bids, by March they should have been returned. Within a month, the winning bidder will be announced by the Government. Based on this timeline, we expect to have commercial close by June of 2018,” he explained.Mr. Deidrick said that one of the proposals that the enterprise team consented to in the question-and-answer process was to extend the period for financial closure from nine months to 12 months.“As such, financial closure should take place in June of 2019, so that is when you are likely to see a new operator taking over NMIA, assuming all goes to plan,” he said.Mr. Deidrick explained that the chosen operator should be able to fulfil three critical requirements for qualification – financial strength to expand and operate the facility, technical competence to do the required construction and expansion, as well as airport operating competence and expertise.He told JIS News that all pre-qualified bidders have satisfied the requirements in every respect, and they are now required to place their most attractive bid.The chosen concessionaire will have a mandate to undertake a major capital expansion programme at the airport, which includes extension of the runway and improvement to the airside and other terminal facilities. Story Highlightslast_img read more