to go further August 25, 2020 Find out more News Receive email alerts August 21, 2020 Find out more RSF_en Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is appalled to learn that freelance journalist Isaac Vuni’s body was found on 26 September, four months after his abduction, and calls on South Sudan’s authorities to shed all possible light on his murder. News South SudanAfrica Condemning abuses Impunity Vuni’s relatives told the independent Sudan Tribunenewspaper that his body was discovered on a farm outside Kerepi, thevillage where his family lives, located in the north of the countrynear the Ugandan border.Gunmen kidnapped Vuni and his brother Andruga from the family’shome on the night of 4 June. A witness told the South Sudan Liberty News website at the time that the abductors wore the samemilitary dress as members of the “Tiger Battalion,” PresidentSalva Kiir’s bodyguards. It seems that Vuni was killed shortly after his abduction, whichwas never claimed. His brother has yet to be found.Vuni, who often wrote for the Sudan Tribune, had been undersurveillance by the South Sudanese security forces for years. He wasarrested in Juba on 29 July 2009 after reporting that members of theSudan People’s Liberation Army and the South Sudanese governmentwere implicated in a financial scandal.He was beaten while held incommunicado in a Juba police stationfrom 28 March to 2 May 2011, during a crackdown on South Sudan’sjournalists.“We condemn Isaac Vuni’s foul murder and call on theauthorities to conduct an investigation to identify those responsibleand bring them to justice,” said Cléa Kahn Sriber, the head ofRSF’s Africa desk.“The authorities distinguished themselves by their silence atthe time of his abduction. Their silence cannot continue. They mustput an end to the widespread impunity prevailing in South Sudan,which makes this kind of abuse possible.”Journalists and media outlets have constantly been the targets ofviolence since the start of the civil war in 2013. The South Sudaneseauthorities, and the intelligence services in particular, often holdjournalists incommunicado in an attempt to silence the media.As RSF has already reported, Radio Miraya’s George Livio has been held incommunicado in Juba for more than two years, while newspaper editorAlfred Taban was held incommunicado for 13 days in July Alfred Taban was held incommunicado for 13 days in July after publishing anarticle calling on the authorities to implement the peace accord.South Sudan is ranked 140th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2016 World Press Freedom Index, 15 places lower than its position in the2015 Index. Organisation December 23, 2020 Find out more News News Online memorial and writing prize launched to mark 30th birthday of slain journalist Christopher Allen South SudanAfrica Condemning abuses Impunity September 28, 2016 RSF calls for justice after South Sudanese journalist’s body found RSF welcomes UN Special Rapporteur’s statement calling for justice for Christopher Allen three years on Follow the news on South Sudan Crédit : Anadolu Agency / Getty Images Red alert for green journalism – 10 environmental reporters killed in five years Help by sharing this information
RSF_en February 24, 2021 Find out more RSF requests urgent adoption of moratorium on arrests of journalists Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Somalia News SomaliaAfrica Radio reporter gunned on city street in central Somalia Reporters Without Borders expressed anger and dismay at the murder today of Mukhtar Mohamed Hirabe, director of Radio Shabelle, who was shot dead in Bakara market in the capital, Mogadishu.A journalist colleague accompanying him, Ahmed Omar Hashi, was also shot several times and is being treated in hospital where his condition is reported as stable.The Radio Shabelle journalists were walking to work when they were targeted by three armed men, several witnesses said. Hirabe was hit four times in the head and died instantly while Omar Hashi was hit in the hand and the stomach.Hirabe is the third Radio Shabelle journalist to suffer a fatal attack since the start of 2009; the fifth journalist killed this year and the second radio director to be killed in Bakara market – a district under the control of the Islamist al-Shabaab militia.Director of Radio HornAfrik, Said Tahlil, was shot dead in the same market on 4 February 2009 and Hirabe survived a murder attempt on the same day.Voicing its condolences to Hirabe’s family and colleagues and hoping for a quick recovery for Hashi, Reporters Without Borders challenged President Sheikh Sharif Ahmed over Somalia’s worsening security in the nearly six months since he took office. “Armed militia, whoever they may be, are continuing to terrorise the people and to attack journalists and members of civil society with total impunity,” the organisation said.“The Somalia president must come to grips with the scale of this catastrophe and do his utmost to ensure the safety of journalists. We also call for an immediate investigation to identify and punish the criminals,” the organisation added.Hirabe, who was 45, had headed Radio Shabelle since 2007 following the murder of his predecessor, Bashir Nur Gedi. Two other journalists on the radio, Hassan Mayow Hassan and Abdirisak Warsameh Mohamed, were also killed this year.With a total of 14 journalists killed since 2007, Somalia is Africa’s deadliest country for the media. March 2, 2021 Find out more June 7, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Director of Radio Shabelle murdered in Mogadishu SomaliaAfrica News News Receive email alerts Organisation News to go further RSF and NUSOJ call for release of a journalist held in Somalia’s Puntland region January 8, 2021 Find out more
Facebook For Namira Suniaprita, buying groceries at the supermarket is a hassle amid the COVID-19 pandemic. She has to wear a face mask, use latex gloves and immediately wash the clothes she wore to the store upon returning home.“I’m too scared to go to the market. That’s why I buy food supplies online,” said the 22-year-old employee who lives in North Jakarta. As of Tuesday, the North Jakarta administration has reported 25 COVID-19 cases in the area.She said the prices at the online marketplaces were not much higher than at the traditional market, and some marketplaces also offer organic options. She has bought fruits and vegetables, spices and ready-to-cook food, such as instant noodles, from online marketplace Sayurbox.Namira is not the only individual turning to online marketplaces. Food e-commerce has seen rapid growth in customers since the government urg… LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Google Forgot Password ? Linkedin Log in with your social account Topics : Sayurbox TaniHub marketplace online e-commerce COVID-19 pandemic coronavirus
Lademora was rushed to the West VisayasState University Medical Center in Jaro district where the attending physicianlater pronounced him dead. Officers of the Jaro police station haveyet to identify the suspect and the motive in the shooting as of this writing./PN Angel Lademora of Barangay Camiri, SanEnrique, Iloilo died of a gunshot wound on the head, police said. ILOILO City – A man was shot dead inBarangay Democracia, Jaro district. According to police investigators,Camiri was bound to his boardinghouse in the said village when an unidentifiedmotorcycle-riding gunman fired at him around 8 p.m. on March 5.
Newcastle caretaker manager John Carver was left ruing his side’s inability to take the lead whilst in charge of the contest but believes he again showed he is the right man to be appointed as Alan Pardew’s successor on a full-time basis. “We had a game plan and I think the guys executed that game plan well,” he said. “It was very frustrating just before half time. We switched off, just like we did last week against Leicester. When you are playing against top sides and top players they do seem to think a bit quicker and it was clever from their point of view. When you play against the top sides they will punish you. “I have got no idea when they (the Newcastle board) are going to make a decision but I have got to be honest, if the guys play like they did today then I hope they make the right decision.” The Blues recorded a 2-0 win to move two points clear at the top of the Barclays Premier League with Oscar and Diego Costa striking either side of half-time. But Newcastle were dominant for much of the first 45 minutes before Oscar’s opener and created the better chances – with Moussa Sissoko coming closest as he crashed an effort off the frame of the goal. Press Association Assistant coach Steve Holland admitted Chelsea fell below their own standards in beating Newcastle but praised their reaction after Jose Mourinho’s half-time team-talk. Chelsea were sluggish and wasteful in possession, with Mourinho jumping out of his dugout on more than one occasion to bellow out his feelings of discontent. But Holland, again filling in for Mourinho for the club’s media duties with the Portuguese set to sit out press conferences until his Football Association hearing for a misconduct charge is heard, praised the response of the players after the interval. “We didn’t have enough players playing quite at the level we are used to seeing in the first half,” he conceded. “The manager reminded one or two of them at half-time what was required and there was a good response from the players. “It is very difficult to hit the level that people expect week in week out, particularly in this country. The players have had a real battering over Christmas so to reach that level that everyone wants to see week in, week out is impossible. Chelsea could have had a penalty in the second half after a Costa cross struck the arm of Newcastle skipper Fabricio Coloccini but Holland refused to get drawn into another debate over referees – the very topic which has landed his boss in hot water. “It could have been (a penalty) but it would be nice today not to talk about referees, I think the referee had a good game today and the team won today regardless,” he said. “Coloccini did have his arm in the air, the ball clearly struck his arm and had it not done it would have gone into the penalty area – but I think our preference would be to focus on the improved performance in the second-half.”