CameroonAfrica October 2, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Newspaper editor threatened over corruption coverage News Help by sharing this information News May 31, 2021 Find out more May 19, 2021 Find out more News to go further Receive email alerts Follow the news on Cameroon April 23, 2021 Find out more Cameroonian journalist Paul Chouta sentenced and fined in defamation case Case against Amadou Vamoulké baseless, French lawyers tell Cameroon court Organisation RSF_en Cameroonian reporter jailed since August, abandoned by justice system Reporters Without Borders calls on President Paul Biya to publicly condemn a series of attempts to intimidate its Cameroon correspondent, Jules Koum Koum, who edits Le Jeune Observateur, a weekly based in the southwestern city of Douala.“In recent weeks, this respected journalist has published several detailed and well-researched reports on corruption implicating a number of prominent people,” Reporters Without Borders said. “In so doing, he has helped Operation Sparrowhawk, an anti-corruption drive that is being promoted by President Biya himself.”The press freedom organisation added: “We urge all of Cameroon’s partners, through the European Commission delegation and through their embassies, to support Jules Koum Koum, both in order to protect him and to encourage journalists who are helping to combat corruption.”In the most recent incident, several individuals tried to enter Koum’s home at around 2 a.m. on 26 September. Aroused by a noise, Koum alerted neighbours and thereby managed to scare the intruders away. Three weeks before that, on the night of 1 September, several gunmen broke into his home and took a briefcase containing work documents and personal items. Following this incident, Reporters Without Borders wrote to national security chief Emmanuel Edou asking him to ensure that the safety of Koum and his family was guaranteed.Someone meanwhile hacked into Koum’s email account and that of his newspaper ([email protected]) on 27 September. “My password was changed without my knowledge, with the result that I can no longer access my email,” he said. A spam message in English has been sent several times to all his contacts. His two telephones are also being tapped, Reporters Without Borders has been told by several different local sources.Listen to Koum describing (in French) what happened on 1st September: News CameroonAfrica
“I don’t even know if it’s Deontay Wilder, or just the people around him; they don’t want this fight,” Hearn told Sky Sports.“If they did, they’d take the fight. Offers have been made over the last year. They have trebled actually, and I don’t know, it’s frustrating.“All I know is Anthony Joshua will box Jarrell Miller June 1, MSG, Wilder is boxing May 18 against Dominic Breazeale, actually the guy who in his 17th fight with glandular fever, Anthony Joshua destroyed.“Then Tyson Fury will box June 15 in America. Those big three are all tied up for the summer. We’ve just got to keep trying. There’s nothing more we can do, than just keep trying.“It’s extremely frustrating, but like I said, it looks clear now what those big three are doing this summer, and it’s our responsibility, and I hope they understand their responsibility to give the fight fans what they want, which is the biggest fight in world boxing, hopefully at the end of the year.“But after what we saw last week, who knows?”A shock defeat for either Joshua or Wilder would end hopes of a showdown between the unbeaten champions, and Hearn admits his fighter must remain fully focused on Miller.“Make it now,” he said. “If Breazeale were to beat Wilder, if Miller was to beat AJ, we lose the biggest fight in world boxing, so hopefully everybody can keep winning.“The heavyweight division and the sport of boxing continues to grow, and we can only hope that fight gets bigger, and eventually team Wilder have nowhere to go, but to accept that huge offer.“Money that he wouldn’t dream of making, that was presented to him last week.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder’s teams have a “responsibility” to deliver an undisputed world title fight this year, says promoter Eddie Hearn.WBC champion Wilder reiterated his desire to take a blockbuster battle with Joshua following his next title defence with Dominic Breazeale at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn on May 18.Hearn had hoped to tie up a hugely lucrative deal for the fight before Joshua’s own world title clash with Jarrell ‘Big Baby’ Miller in New York on June 1, and again questioned whether Wilder’s backers can finally agree on terms.