Twitter WhatsApp Facebook Local NewsUS News Facebook Twitter Pinterest Pinterest FILE – In this Feb. 7, 2021, file photo, two people enter a New York City vaccine hub during a snowstorm in New York. Executives from the major COVID-19 vaccine producers are set Tuesday, Feb. 23, to answer questions from Congress about expanding the supply of shots needed to curb the pandemic that has killed more than 500,000 Americans. Drug executives: Big jump in vaccine supply is coming soon By Digital AIM Web Support – February 23, 2021 TAGS WhatsApp Previous articleSeattle doing damage control with players after exec’s videoNext articleIntercontinental Exchange Chief Financial Officer Scott Hill to Present at the Raymond James 42nd Annual Institutional Investors Conference on March 3, 2021 Digital AIM Web Support
News Updates”Can His Family See Him From A Reasonable Distance” Bombay HC Seeks NIA & State’s Response, Asks For Update On Varavara Rao’s Health Nitish Kashyap20 July 2020 5:44 AMShare This – xThe Bombay High Court on Monday sought to know from the National Investigation Agency and State government regarding the health condition of 81-year-old Telugu poet Varavara Rao, one of the eleven accused in Bhima Koregaon case, who tested positive for Covid-19 and was shifted to Nanavati Hospital on Sunday. Division bench of Justice SS Shinde and Justice SP Tavade was hearing Rao’s…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginThe Bombay High Court on Monday sought to know from the National Investigation Agency and State government regarding the health condition of 81-year-old Telugu poet Varavara Rao, one of the eleven accused in Bhima Koregaon case, who tested positive for Covid-19 and was shifted to Nanavati Hospital on Sunday. Division bench of Justice SS Shinde and Justice SP Tavade was hearing Rao’s petition challenging Special court’s order refusing bail to him on medical grounds. Another petition filed on Rao’s behalf of Rao sought Court also enquired from NIA and the State whether Rao’s family could see him from a reasonable distance. Appearing on behalf of Rao, Advocates R Sathyanarayanan and Advocate Sudep Pasbola submitted that Rao’s condition was extremely critical as he is suffering from various ailments apart from being Covid-19 positive. Thus, Rao’s bail was sought so that he can spend time with his family. More importantly, it was submitted that Rao hit his head on the hospital bed and sustained severe injuries at JJ Hospital. Adv Pasbola said- “His condition is very serious. He hit his head against the hospital bed while he was at the JJ hospital and sustained severe injuries. Besides Covid-19, he suffers from several ailments, he is hallucinating and is delirious. Let him be in the presence of his family members.” However, the bench asked if Rao’s health is declining then taking him out of the hospital would prove to be counterproductive. Also, how can he meet his family if he has Covid-19, Justice Shinde said. Rao’s counsel stated that his family may be allowed to see him from a reasonable distance. To this, Public Prosecutor Deepak Thakare said that video conferencing facilities can be arranged for Rao’s family instead. Whereas, Additional Solicitor General Anil Singh, who appeared for the NIA, argued that Rao had been admitted to one of the best multi-speciality hospitals in the city and that he was being taken care of in accordance with Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) guidelines. Thus, the bench finally asked the State and NIA to file their replies regarding Rao’s health condition and clarify whether his family members could see him from a reasonable distance by July 22. Meanwhile, Rao’s co-accused, Vernon Gonsalves and Anand Teltumbde, who were also lodged at Taloja jail, filed a writ petition seeking directions to the State to test them for Covid-19 as they came in close contact with Rao. This matter came up for hearing before the same bench. Court directed the State and NIA to conduct the Covid-19 swab test and inform them regarding the same by July 23. Moreover, tribal rights activist and unionist Sudha Bharadwaj’s plea for bail on medical grounds was also heard today by the same bench. The matter was adjourned after the bench concluded that the report filed by the Superintendent, Byculla women’s prison was “illegible”. This case will be heard on July 23 as well. On the other hand, Rao’s immediate family, his wife P Hemlatha and three daughters, in a press release stated that the news about his health condition, particularly the head injury he suffered by the time he was brought to Nanavati Hospital, was not disclosed to the family members, who got to know about it through newspapers. “Not sharing health updates of a person in judicial custody with his family is illegal, unconstitutional and inhuman. Today’s news that he suffered a head injury whether in JJ Hospital or St George, but discovered on arrival at Nanavati, made us highly perturbed and worried about his safety and well-being. It is the family’s right to get official transparent updates on his health status, line of treatment and probable risks, but the concerned prison, police and health administrations in a gross dereliction of their duties have not come out to family with the much needed information. This is not only a gross violation of the family’s right to information, but also a grave misconduct on the part of the state government institutions.” Finally, demands have been made to the State government to allow one family member as Rao’s attendant and directions have been sought for the hospital administration to provide regular updates, at least once a day to Rao’s family. Also, access to all of Rao’s medical records has been sought. Next Story
Negotiated resolution reaffirms the value of Williams’ midstream infrastructure and incentivizes future development of critical acreage Williams announces global resolution with Chesapeake. (Credit: aymane jdidi from Pixabay) Williams (NYSE: WMB) today announced that it has reached a global resolution with Chesapeake as part of Chesapeake’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy restructuring process.“Williams has strategically invested in large-scale and essential infrastructure necessary to gather and treat the natural gas that Chesapeake and its joint interest owners produce in the Eagle Ford, Haynesville, and Marcellus,” said Alan Armstrong, Williams president and CEO. “Our gathering systems are necessary to realize the full potential of these high value reserves, and we are pleased to have been able to work with Chesapeake toward a mutually beneficial outcome that will put Chesapeake on a clear path to a bright future. Chesapeake is a valuable customer, and this transaction will both strengthen Chesapeake and allow Williams to enhance the value of our significant midstream infrastructure by bringing adequate capitalization to these low-cost gas reserves.”Key highlights of the global resolution, currently pending bankruptcy court approval, include the following:Chesapeake will pay all pre-petition and past due receivables related to midstream expenses, per the existing contracts.Chesapeake will not attempt to reject Williams’ gathering agreements in the Eagle Ford, Marcellus, or Mid-Con.In the Haynesville, Williams has agreed to reduce its gathering fees in exchange for gaining ownership of a portion of Chesapeake’s South Mansfield producing assets, which consist of approximately 50,000 net mineral acres. In addition, Chesapeake will enter into a long-term gas supply commitment of a minimum 100 Mdth/d and up to 150 Mdth/d for the Transco Regional Energy Access (REA) pipeline currently under development.The reduced gathering fees are consistent with incentive rates that Williams has offered in the past to attract drilling capital and are therefore expected to promote additional drilling across Chesapeake’s prolific Haynesville footprint.The South Mansfield assets provide an opportunity for Williams to transition the acreage to a strong and well-capitalized operator that will grow production volumes, and drive growth in fee based cash flows on Williams’ existing spare midstream capacity, while also enabling Williams to market significant gas volumes for future downstream opportunities.The commitment to REA provides valuable incremental takeaway capacity for Chesapeake’s Marcellus production and the associated Williams gathering systems, while adding a valuable capacity commitment to the Transco project. Source: Company Press Release
While the California dairy cow that tested positive for bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or mad cow disease, made national headlines this week, University of Georgia livestock and food safety experts say the real story is how well the nation’s food safety system worked. Bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or BSE, “was identified in a dairy cow, and the cow never entered the food supply,” said Judy Harrison, a professor and UGA Cooperative Extension food safety specialist in the College of Family and Consumer Sciences. “It is not passed through milk, and we have many tests in place in this country to make sure problems like this are not a threat to the food supply. … This case is a good example to consumers of how the system works to keep their food safe.” BSE first made headlines in the late 1980s with a mass outbreak in Great Britain. It’s a degenerative disease caused by small proteins called prions that attack the cow’s central nervous system. Prions are less complex than viruses but are still able to reproduce their genetic material and damage cells. The disease caused herds of cows in Britain to act erratically and then gradually lose most of their motor function, leading to the lay term “mad cow disease.” After eating beef that was tainted with these prions, some humans also contracted the human form of the disease. Since the late 1980s, the USDA, the FDA and the beef industry have completely changed their practices regarding the handling of cattle and beef bound for human consumption, said Ronnie Silcox, an associate professor of animal science in the UGA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. These changes have made it nearly impossible for a tainted cow to make it to a processing facility — much less make it onto a family’s dinner table. The disease spread through Great Britain’s cattle supply so quickly because of the use of animal feed made from beef byproducts. The practice of feeding mammalian byproducts to cattle has since been banned, and beef processors now remove the spine and brain from beef carcasses before they are processed. Any cow that cannot walk into a processing facility is suspected of having BSE, excluded from the food supply and tested. Farmers and stockyards now routinely test older and sick cows for BSE, Silcox said. Although millions of older and sick cows have been tested since these safety practices have been put in place, only four U.S. cows have tested positive for the disease—one cow imported from Canada to Washington state, one in Texas, one in Alabama and the recent dairy cow in California, Silcox said. No cow under 30 months of age has ever been found to be carrying the disease, he said. “When you go into the grocery store, all the steak and roasts there come from relatively young cow,” he said. “We have never seen a cow test positive for BSE who was less than 30 months old.” The precautions taken by the USDA, FDA and the international food safety and agriculture communities have nearly eradicated BSE from cattle populations over the last 20 years, Silcox said. With only 29 cases of BSE reported worldwide in 2011, the specter of the disease is now one of its greatest impacts. This week’s announcement disrupted the cattle futures market, but it later rebounded. “This one wasn’t even going to end up in the food supply, and the beef futures market still dropped, but of course any news about beef can disrupt the futures market,” Silcox said. The case will not affect beef exports to trade partners like Mexico or Japan that already require imported beef to be harvested before the cows reach 30 or 20 months of age, Silcox said. What you should know about BSE:– The USDA announced a positive test result for BSE in a central California dairy cow on April 24 as part of its targeted surveillance program to test cattle for bovine spongiform encephalopathy. — According to the USDA, the carcass of the animal is being held under State authority at a rendering facility in California and will be destroyed. It was never presented for slaughter for human consumption, so at no time presented a risk to the food supply or human health. — The bottom line for consumers remains the same: U.S. beef is safe because of multiple, interlocking safeguards instituted over the past two decades. The BSE agent is not found in meat like steaks and roasts. It is only found in central nervous system tissue such as the brain and spinal cord, which are not allowed for use in food products. — BSE is fast approaching eradication worldwide. According to the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) there were only 29 cases of BSE worldwide in 2011, which is a 99 percent reduction since the peak in 1992 of more than 37,300 cases. This is only the fourth case of BSE in the U.S., compared to more than 37,000 cases in the United Kingdom alone during peak occurrence in 1992. — USDA’s ongoing BSE surveillance program tests approximately 40,000 high-risk cattle annually, bringing the total of tested animals to more than 1 million since the program began. A scientific analysis of seven years of surveillance data found the estimated prevalence of BSE in the U.S. to be less than one infected animal per 1 million adult cattle.– USDA Public Health Veterinarians examine every single animal before processing and condemn those with any signs of illness. Animals most likely to have BSE are older animals either unable to walk or showing signs of neurological disease. Such animals are banned from the human food supply.
Tweet 15 Views one comment Sharing is caring! Hon Housing Minister, Reginald AustrieThe Government of the People’s Republic of China has made available a first tranche of funds for the construction of forty one (41) houses in the Carib Territory.Hon Housing Minister, Reginald Austrie, confirmed this during an interview with GIS News this week.Just last year, Government announced that the PRC Government had offered to finance the construction of the houses for the island’s indigenous people. The Housing Minister said that the sites have already been identified and tenders sent out.“The project has been approved and in fact, while we speak, we have received about half a million dollars for commencement of the project. The total value of the project is about 1.4 million (XCD1 400 000.00). The sites have been identified but on some of the sites, there is a lot of infrastructural work to be done like in Gullet River, In St. Cyr and in Sineku, we have to do the roads and infrastructure at considerable costs. But, in areas like Mahaut River where we will be constructing four houses, at Salybia in Point we are going to be doing four, in Bataca we are doing five and in Concord we are going to be doing two. These sites are ready to go and so what we have done so far is sometime late last week, the tender documents were sent out and we are hoping that within the next two weeks, we will receive those tender documents.”Work on the houses is expected to begin before the end of the year. The Housing Minister said that this is an extension to the on-going housing revolution in the Carib Territory. He added that this a tangible demonstration of Government’s commitment to residents of the Carib Territory“We believe that the Carib people should be singled out for special treatment and that is why the Government is doing all in its power to ensure that the Carib people are treated as a special people in Dominica; not only in terms of housing but in terms of health. You realise that we just opened a new health centre and while it was funded by a foreign entity, but the Government still made a contribution to that facility because we recognise the importance of that facility. In terms of education, in terms of health, in terms of housing, the Carib people continue to receive from this Government.”Government will work with the Carib council to facilitate the allocation of the houses to residents“The plan we had for the forty-one Venezuelan houses, we had, based on the situation that existed at that time, so it all depends on when these houses are completed. It all depends on what the situation is at that particular point in time we will decide on the allocation of those houses. But, as usual, we are involving the Carib Council. We are involving the Parliamentary Representative. We are involving the Department of Carib Affairs. So any decision that is taken as far as development in the Carib Territory in concerned, particularly in housing, we have unanimous support and approval from the Carib people because we ensure that we are involving all the entities, all the stake holders in the Carib Territory.”By: Mervin Matthew and Emmanuel H. Joseph Government Information Service Share Share Share LocalNews Chinese government to fund housing project in the Carib Territory by: – August 26, 2011