• Home
  • Tag: 上海贵族宝贝龙凤

Death threats and attacks on freedom of expression intensify in Tunisia

first_img Forum on Information and Democracy 250 recommendations on how to stop “infodemics” March 6, 2013 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Death threats and attacks on freedom of expression intensify in Tunisia November 11, 2020 Find out more News Signed, (Tunis, 4 March 2013) – The following is an open letter to the authorities in Tunisia, initiated by the World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers (WAN-IFRA), Norwegian PEN, PEN International WiPC and Index on Censorship and signed by 20 other IFEX members:Death threats and attacks on freedom of expression intensify in TunisiaDeath threats, physical attacks, an emergence of hate speech and accusations of official censorship of critical media have escalated the perilous situation for freedom of expression in Tunisia. As the political crisis deepens following the assassination of outspoken left-wing political leader Chokri Belaïd, and the resignation on Tuesday 26 February of Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali, attacks against journalists and writers have intensified.The undersigned members of the International Freedom of Expression Exchange (IFEX) call on the Tunisian government to condemn such attacks, guarantee the safety of journalists, writers and media workers reporting on the on-going crisis, and implement legislation available to them that better protects freedom of expression.Death ThreatsTunisia has witnessed an unprecedented campaign of death threats against journalists, writers and media workers critical of the ruling Ennahda Party and its handling of recent events.Most disturbingly, a ‘death list’ of names of prominent writers and journalists who supposedly “antagonise Islam” is said to be in circulation, with writer and journalist Naziha Rjiba one of those to have received anonymous telephone death threats. It is widely believed the League for Protecting the Revolution – said to have close ties with the Ennahda Party – issued the list. Rjiba received a call shortly after the assassination of Belaïd in which she was warned to be silent or else “she would be next.”On 11 February, journalists Nawfel El Ouertani and Haitham El Mekki from Radio Mosaique FM had their lives threatened for their coverage of Belaïd’s funeral. The station had already been the recipient of threats and had applied to the Ministry of Interior for protection.Veteran journalist and former head of the National Syndicate of Tunisian Journalists (SNJT), Neji Bghouri, has received a number of death threats via email and mobile phone. The latest incident occurred on 14 February when a member of the League for Protecting the Revolution reportedly shouted, “soon, you’ll be killed.” Najiba Hamrouni, current head of the SNJT, has also reported receiving death threats from unknown callers who accuse her of defaming the Ennahda Party and “insulting Islam”.The undersigned IFEX members are seriously alarmed by these developments and call on the Tunisian authorities to urgently provide those targeted with a safe environment in which to carry out their work. They also call on authorities to fully investigate those responsible for issuing such threats so as to deter a climate of impunity in the country.Attacks on Freedom of Expression EscalateThe undersigned IFEX members consider the 22 January decision by deputy leader of the National Constitutional Assembly, Mehrezia Labidi, to ban journalists from working inside the Assembly as a deliberate attempt to deny access to information, and call on the authorities to recall the decision.Harassment and physical attacks are also on the rise. On 24 January police interrogated Al-Shorouk journalist, Mouna Bouazizi, following a complaint by a local official over her coverage of events in the city of Qarjani. Bouazizi has been repeatedly harassed and prevented from carrying out her work.Reports suggest that security forces have deliberately targeted journalists covering the fallout from the assassination of Belaïd. On 7 February, police in Gafsa City attacked Tunisia Africa News Agency journalist, Farida al-Mabrouki as she covered clashes with protesters. In a similar incident, Shraz Al-Khunaisi, a journalist with Internet TV channel Tunis Al-Ikhbariya, was also attacked and dragged to the ground by police.Another journalist for the same channel, Ahmad Akkouni, was hit by a rubber bullet while covering clashes between police and protesters in Tunis. The following day, police officers physically attacked Tarek Al-Ghorani, a photographer and staff member with the Tunis Centre for the Freedom of Press, as he took pictures at Belaïd’s funeral.In addition, rapper and playwright Mohamed Amine Al-Hamzaoui required hospital treatment following a severe assault by up to five police officers that took place as he participated in the funeral. Al-Hamzaoui is known for songs criticising police attacks on protesters.Hate speechEvidence is emerging that the media are being subjected to a deliberate campaign of hate speech during prayer ceremonies and in political discourses. Prayer leaders in several mosques across Tunisia have blamed journalists and writers for either “insulting Islam” or “hindering the work of the Ennahda Party”, while journalists criticised by politicians have reportedly been the victims of reprisal attacks.During the 15 February rally held in support of the Ennahda Party in Tunis, widespread anti-media rhetoric was heard from speakers and marchers alike. Shouts of “shameless media” accompanied physical attacks against journalists covering the event. A prevalence of graffiti slogans stating “Journalists are liars” and “Journalists are hypocrites” can also be seen on the streets of the capital.Broadcast woesThe independence of the broadcast media has been called further into question following the unplanned proliferation of new radio stations and TV channels across the country, many of which are owned by pro-government, Ennahda Party supporters.The government has also been accused of silencing a number of emerging independent radio stations by withdrawing frequencies under the pretext of unpaid license fees. On 12 February, Oxygen Radio Bizerte was shut down for 24 hours, a move seen by Tunisian human rights groups as political interference aimed at silencing critical voices.The undersigned IFEX members repeat calls for the Tunisian authorities to appoint an independent body that has the power to organise the audio-visual licensing system fairly and without political bias.Legislative stallingDespite public statements on 10 December 2012 announcing the adoption of long-overdue legislation, and with it the establishment of the Independent High Authority for Audiovisual Communications (HAICA), the undersigned IFEX members note little change regarding the implementation of the government’s media laws, particularly in respect to decrees 115 and 116 concerning media freedom.As a crucial step in guaranteeing the safety of journalists, the undersigned IFEX members again call on the Tunisian authorities to implement these decrees as a matter of urgency. For the independence of the media to be assured, wider consultation should also be sought from civil society and journalist organisations to supply HAICA with a broader more legitimate mandate for change. December 26, 2019 Find out more News World Association of Newspapers and News PublishersIndex on CensorshipNorwegian PENWriters in Prison Committee, PEN InternationalBahrain Center for Human RightsCanadian Journalists for Free ExpressionCartoonists Rights Network InternationalCenter for Media Studies & Peace BuildingCommittee to Protect JournalistsFreedom ForumFundamedios – Andean Foundation for Media Observation & StudyI’lam Media Center for Arab Palestinians in Israel – INTERIM MEMBERIndependent Journalism CenterInstitute for the Studies on Free Flow of InformationInternational Press InstituteInternational Publishers AssociationMaharat FoundationMedia Rights AgendaNational Union of Somali JournalistsPacific Islands News AssociationPalestinian Center for Development and Media Freedoms – MADAPublic Association “Journalists”Reporters Without BordersWorld Press Freedom Committee to go further Organisation Help by sharing this information center_img Tunisia : RSF asks Tunisian president’s office to respect journalists November 12, 2019 Find out more Follow the news on Tunisia TunisiaMiddle East – North Africa Receive email alerts TunisiaMiddle East – North Africa RSF_en Eleven organizations from civil society create the Forum on Information & Democracy, a structural response to information disorder News Newslast_img read more

UFC 244: Nate Diaz hints at retirement after BMF loss to Masvidal

first_imgLast Updated: 7th November, 2019 16:57 IST UFC 244: Nate Diaz Hints At Retirement After BMF Loss To Masvidal Nate Diaz says that he is out the fight game through his recent Instagram post. Diaz faced a TKO loss against Masvidal at UFC 244. Know more details about Diaz Written By FOLLOW US LIVE TV 10 months ago UFC: Corey Anderson set to quit if not given fight with Jon Jones Also Read- UFC: Nate Diaz Feels He Is The King Of 155 Lbs Category, Eyes ProgressUFC: Nate Diaz says he is on a peace tourAfter the post-fight interview, Nate Diaz said that he’s coming after Masvidal but in his recent Instagram post the younger Diaz shocked the UFC fans by saying that he is out of the fight game. In the Instagram post, Nate wrote “F**** a rematch, this s**** was over before it started. I’m going out on tour”. COMMENT First Published: 7th November, 2019 16:57 IST 10 months ago UFC 244: Where to watch, schedule and live streaming details Well, Nate has faced a medical suspension due to those severe cuts he has faced in UFC 244 against Masvidal and he will be out of the octagon for a while. The doctor stoppage at UFC 244 faced heavy backlash and hatred from the fans but Dana White posted a photo of Diaz’s injury after the match and it actually horrifying to see. The UFC wrote in his Instagram post “These cuts were much worse then they looked on TV. Respect to @natediaz209 for pushing the Dr to continue”. Diaz was out of UFC for 2 years after losing against Conor McGregor at UFC 202. He made a great comeback at UFC 241 by defeating Anthony Pettis but it seems that he is again gone after losing at UFC 244. Also Read- UFC: Conor McGregor Shows Off His Lean Physique On InstagramUFC: Nate Diaz’s current UFC statusNte Diaz recently said that he is done with 155lbs and he will never ever compete at the featherweight division. Nate Diaz was at the seventh spot of the welterweight ranking but came down to ninth after his recent TKO loss against Jorge ‘Gamebred’  Masvidal. He is still visible and an ‘active player’ on the UFC official website but his recent Instagram is surely making his hardcore fans worry.Also Read- UFC Salaries: Conor McGregor, Khabib, Nate Diaz Salary RevealedAlso Read- UFC: 3 Major Fights In UFC History With Controversial Endings WE RECOMMEND 10 months ago UFC: Nate Diaz feels he is the king of 155 lbs category, eyes progress WATCH US LIVE 10 months ago UFC Nate Diaz: Fighter’s salary, net worth and next UFC fight Nate Diaz has reportedly hinted at retirement after losing the BMF title against Jorge Masvidal at UFC 244. Nate Diaz faced a TKO loss at UFC 244 due to a doctor stoppage and the Stockton Gangsta clearly did not like it. Well, Masvidal and Nate immediately showed their interest in running back the fight once again but it seems that the probability has just gone from hundred to zero. Raj Sarkar 10 months ago UFC Salaries: Conor McGregor, Khabib, Nate Diaz salary revealed SUBSCRIBE TO USlast_img read more