• Home
  • Tag: 上海后花园论坛

A year after Marlene Esperat’s murder, instigators still not arrested

first_img News PhilippinesAsia – Pacific to go further One year after the murder of investigative journalist Marlene Esperat in Tacurong, on the southern island of Mindanao, Reporters Without Borders today deplored the fact that, although the suspected perpetrators have been arrested, the instigators are still at large. Esperat wrote about corruption and embezzlement for the weekly Midland Review, and she had accused the local department of agriculture of irregular fertilizer purchases shortly before she was gunned down in front of her daughter and two sons on 24 March 2005.“The arrest of the suspected contract killers, including the alleged gunman, Jerry Cabayag, just a few weeks after Esperat’s murder raised hopes that it would be solved quickly,” Reporters Without Borders said. “But the case then ground to a halt, although it was transferred to a court in Cebu for the sake of the safety of the witnesses.”The press freedom organisation added: “We urge the authorities to do everything possible to arrest those who were behind this murder, and thereby honour the memory of an investigative journalist who said she was ready to die for the cause. We also call on the senate to conduct a thorough investigation into the fertilizer scandal she exposed, so that her fight against corruption will not have been in vain.”Esperat was dining at home with her children on the evening of 24 March 2005 when a gunman walked into the living room and shot her once, above the right eye, killing her instantly. She had been receiving police protection ever since a grenade attack on her home in 2003 but that evening she had exceptionally told her bodyguard he could stay at home and spend Easter with his family.One of the suspects, Randi Grecia, surrendered to the police on 8 April 2005. Three days later, the police arrested three other suspects, included the alleged shooter, Cabayag. All four have reportedly confessed to being paid 120,000 pesos (about 1,900 euros) to kill Esperat.Last November, the supreme court granted a request from the Esperat family and the Freedom Fund for Filipino Journalists for the case to be transferred from Tacurong, where Esperat lived and where the murder took place, to a court in the city of Cebu. In Tacurong, the judicial investigation had been exposed to pressure from Osmena Montaner, an agriculture department official who is suspected of being one of the instigators of the murder. In August, the court in Tacurong had refused to let charges be brought against Montaner and another agriculture department official, Estrella Sabay, on the grounds of insufficient evidence.Prior to her murder, Esperat had presented the results of her investigation into the alleged fertilizer scandal to the ombudsman, who in the Philippines has the power to prosecute corruption cases. Esperat knew she was in great danger and wrote in a letter to President Gloria Arroyo on 14 February 2005: “I am ready to die for this cause but you can never stop the will of the Lord.” News Receive email alerts News News Filipina journalist still held although court dismissed case eleven days ago June 1, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Philippines May 3, 2021 Find out morecenter_img Mass international solidarity campaign launched in support of Maria Ressa Help by sharing this information Philippines: RSF and the #HoldTheLine Coalition welcome reprieve for Maria Ressa, demand all other charges and cases be dropped Organisation RSF_en Marlene Esperat of the weekly Midland Review was murdered in Tacurong, on the southern island of Mindanao, on 24 March 2005. One year later, those who instigated her murder are still at large. Reporters Without Borders calls on the authorities to identify and punish those responsible in order to honour the memory of an exceptional journalist who gave her life in the fight against corruption. March 22, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 PhilippinesAsia – Pacific A year after Marlene Esperat’s murder, instigators still not arrested February 16, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

City receives over 30 cm of snow in two days

first_img— Dawson Road Maintenance – North Peace (@DawsonrmNP) November 10, 2019 FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John Airport received over 30 cm of snow in the last two days.Environment Canada says 15 cm of snow was received Saturday and 15.2 cm on Friday.  The snowfall warning has ended in the B.C. Peace, but the region could see a small amount of snow on Sunday.  As the snow leaves the area, the wind will pick-up and will bring with it wind chill near minus 27.For Remembrance Day, the strong winds will continue gusting up to 60 km in the morning.  The high should be plus 3, but the wind chill will make it feel more like minus 22.- Advertisement -City snow clearing crews are still working on priority roads, and crews are working on area highways.Drivebc.ca says area highways are snow-covered with slippery sections.  For current road conditions, visit www.drivebc.ca.  If you’re travelling to Alberta, you can find road reports at roadreports.ama.ab.ca.Environment Canada has lifted the Snowfall Warning for the #NorthPeace. We ask that you drive to road conditions, and give our crews space to work. #ShiftIntoWinter #FortStJohn #YXJ #FortNelson pic.twitter.com/gwdNFd6WoJAdvertisementlast_img read more

D’Angelo Russell looks forward to time with Warriors after trade from Nets

first_imgLAS VEGAS – If he could place a bet here, D’Angelo Russell would throw his chips on the Warriors making a deep playoff push as they recently have done.Sure, Kevin Durant and Andre Iguodala are gone, while Klay Thompson will be out for a significant chunk of next season. The Warriors still have three other All-Stars, though, with Stephen Curry, Draymond Green and Russell himself.“The sky is the limit,” Russell, speaking to the trade for the first time since it became official on Saturday, …last_img read more

Bong Ravena thought son Kiefer was bound to become a coach

first_imgHotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Kiefer Ravena. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netTAIPEI – Ferdinand “Bong” Ravena, the former PBA Rookie of the Year and many-time national team member, knew right when son Kiefer was just about five years old, that his son would also be having a career in basketball.But not as a player who has the potential to be truly great.ADVERTISEMENT “He once told me: ‘Look, dad, they’re playing a box-in-one (defense),” the elder Ravena said with genuine amazement. “He must be special, I said then. Because, I, being a player, can’t read a box-in-one defense when I am on the floor.”“I then declared that night: My son would be a great coach someday.”Kiefer, though, has had other plans since that night. He has continued to understand the game and because of his gift to be able to read game situations wherever he is, has an advantage over most players who don’t like to use their heads to get ahead of the rest.“Kiefer makes very sound decisions,” Bong said.The younger Ravena has gone on to make waves in an outstanding amateur career, winning championships and MVPs while with Ateneo in the UAAP and cracking this Gilas Pilipinas roster of pros playing here.ADVERTISEMENT View comments In all likelihood, he declare his availability for the coming PBA Draft and could very well wind up as the top overall pick, and he has started his transition to becoming a point guard by starting out at that spot for Gilas in its last two games here.There’s no doubt that Kiefer is bound to have an outstanding professional career as well, but that doesn’t mean that dad Bong was wrong in how he saw his son when he was five.The coaching could still come. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games LATEST STORIES El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet MOST READ Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ “I said to myself, he could become a player some day. Could,” Ravena said on Monday before he and wife Mozzy watch their oldest child in the 39th Jones Cup Invitational here.“I honestly thought that he would make a great coach in the future.”Bong explained why that idea came to mind.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars“I started bringing him to my practices when he was five,” Bong said. “That’s when he was first introduced to the game. But one night, at home, we were watching a game on TV and it was Kiefer who was telling me ‘look, dad, they will call a timeout.’”Bong dismissed that as a fluke, until Kiefer started reading defensive alignments, offensive executions and substitution patterns by coaches every time they saw a game. National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress FEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ Mac Cardona to suit up for Zark’s Burgers Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. last_img read more

Sean Anthony, NorthPort scrape past import-less NLEX for 2-0 start

first_imgView comments Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles03:46Lacson: PH lost about P161.5B tax revenue from big trading partners in 201700:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport LATEST STORIES Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Adamson holds off Letran for 3rd win in Filoil Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, toocenter_img Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines—Sean Anthony came through in the clutch as NorthPort escaped an import-less NLEX side, 83-79, in the 2019 PBA Commissioner’s Cup Saturday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.Anthony scored his team’s last four points, including a go-ahead putback, 81-79, with 15.8 seconds left. The do-it all forward also hit two free throws to seal the game with 1.6 ticks to go.ADVERTISEMENT Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess “NLEX is a tough team and at the same time, coach Yeng (Guiao) is a tough coach. They’re just really hard to beat,” said NorthPort head coach Pido Jarencio, whose squad improved to 2-0.“They didn’t have an import but it still went down the wire. But a win is a win and we’ll take it,” he added.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsAnthony finished with 17 points and six rebounds off the bench while Prince Ibeh posted 15 points, 19 rebounds and six blocks.The Road Warriors went all-Filipino after their replacement import Tony Mitchell failed to secure his papers. DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew MOST READ Unfazed by the circumstance, NLEX’s locals came ready to play with Kenneth Ighalo leading the way.Ighalo fired 18 points, including 13 in the first half where the Road Warriors even took a nine-point lead.The Batang Pier were also undermanned with star point guard Stanley Pringle still dealing with some pain in his right foot following surgery.It was an ugly win for NorthPort, which shot itself in the foot with 19 missed free throws, but a victory nonetheless.“Good start for the team this second conference.”ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more

10 months agoMan Utd table offer for Inter Milan defender Milan Skriniar

first_imgMan Utd table offer for Inter Milan defender Milan Skriniarby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United have launched a bid for Inter Milan defender Milan Skriniar, it has been revealed.United are in the market for a new centre-back and have been linked with a number of defenders, including Roma’s Kostas Manolas.The Greek is available for £30million, and Manchester United are apparently keen, but according to TuttoMercatoWeb they have now turned their attention elsewhere.Skriniar, 23, is highly-rated, and it is believed Inter Milan would be prepared to part company with the defender should they receive a good price for him.United feel €60m is enough to get the deal done. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby Comments On Prospect Of Conference Adding Teams

first_imgA pylon with the Big 12 logo.FORT WORTH, TX – OCTOBER 25: The Big XII logo on a pylon at Amon G. Carter Stadium on October 25, 2014 in Fort Worth, Texas. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)Earlier today, Oklahoma president David L. Boren made headlines when he stated that he would like the Big 12 to add two schools to put the conference’s membership at 12. Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby has now commented on Boren’s statement. He wasn’t very surprised by it. Bob Bowlsby: “We talk about membership at ever meeting. I think our presidents individually have their own opinions on things.” (more)— Chuck Carlton (@ChuckCarltonDMN) June 24, 2015Bowlsby (more): “President Boren expressed his today. … His comments are not troubling. This is out there. ,,, (more)— Chuck Carlton (@ChuckCarltonDMN) June 24, 2015Bowlsby (cont): “I have not gotten the indication that the majority of our presidents feel that way. … (more)— Chuck Carlton (@ChuckCarltonDMN) June 24, 2015Bowlsby (cont): “I get the feeling that nothing has changed since we last discussed it.”— Chuck Carlton (@ChuckCarltonDMN) June 24, 2015Bowlsby said at some point majority in Big 12 may feel “that we should get bigger. I have not heard at this point that they feel that way.”— Chuck Carlton (@ChuckCarltonDMN) June 24, 2015Which teams would you want added to your conference, Big 12 fans?last_img read more

‘Fraudster settlement scheme’ being run: Cong

first_imgNew Delhi: The Congress on Saturday hit out at the government over the British media reports on Nirav Modi and alleged that Prime Minister Narendra Modi is running a “fraudster settlement yojana”. Taking to Twitter, Congress president Rahul Gandhi said, “The video of fugitive #NiravModi in London shows an uncanny similarity between him & his bhai, PM Modi. Both have looted India and are called Modi. Both refuse to answer any questions. Both believe they are above the law. Both will face justice.” Also Read – Squadrons which participated in Balakot air strike awarded citations on IAF DayCongress’ Chief Spokesperson Randeep Surjewala said: “Fugitive Nirav Modi has been seen enjoying in London… First loot Rs 23,000 crore from banks, then run away from the country without any checks, mock the CBI and the ED, and then make a comfortable home in a Rs 75 crore flat. Modi is there, so it is possible,” he claimed. Ex-FM P Chidambaram tweeted, “When Lalit Modi stayed on in the UK, I wrote to the UK Chancellor that he should be sent back to India. Mrs Sushma Swaraj mocked me for writing letters,” he said in a tweet. Now Nirav Modi is walking on the streets of London. Will Mrs Sushma Swaraj swoop down, pluck him off the street and bring him back to India?”last_img read more

US sanctions-hit Venezuela suspends oil exports to India

first_imgBAKU: Venezuela has suspended its oil exports to India and views Russia and China as its main export destinations, the Azeri energy ministry said on Tuesday, citing Venezuela’s oil minister. The Azeri ministry issued the statement on Tuesday following talks in Baku between Azerbaijan’s energy minister and Venezuelan oil minister and president of state-run oil company PDVSA, Manuel Quevedo. “At the meeting… Quevedo said in order to prevent a sharp reduction, various measures are being implemented and diversification of the export market is underway,” the statement said. “Russia and China are seen as the main destinations because of the suspension of oil exports to India,” the statement said. The Indian market has been crucial for Venezuela’s economy because it has historically been the second-largest cash-paying customer for the OPEC country’s crude, behind the United States. Earlier this year, the United States imposed heavy sanctions on Venezuela’s oil industry and has pressed India to stop buying Venezuelan oil. OPEC and other oil ministers met in Baku in talks over the weekend that ended on Monday.last_img read more

SBI puts NPAs worth Rs 424 crore on sale via auction

first_imgNew Delhi: State-run State Bank of India (SBI) said on Tuesday that it has put non-performing assets (NPAs or bad loans) worth Rs 423.67 crore on auction to recover unpaid dues. The accounts — Kamachi Industries owes Rs 364.80 crore and SNS Starch has Rs 58.87 crore due – to SBI, the bank said. The bidding for these properties will start on April 25. SBI, the country’s largest lender, has been active as well on NPA recovery channels outside the insolvency process . Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscal The bank is looking to sell all of these stressed assets on a 100 per cent cash-basis, but the actual realisation will depend on the reserve price and bids received from the buyers. The SBI has seen its asset quality improve in the current fiscal. The percentage of its net NPAs eased to 3.95 per cent in the third quarter of the last fiscal, from 4.84 per cent in the previous quarter. Last month, the bank had put NPAs worth Rs 6,169 crore on auction.last_img read more