EQUINE ACCOMODATIONS NEARLY COMPLETE AS SANTA ANITA READIES FOR INAUGURAL FASIG-TIPTON 2-YEAR-OLD IN TRAINING SALE ON JUNE 5 UNDER-TACK PREVIEW TO BE HELD MONDAY, JUNE 3 AT 10 A.M. ON SANTA ANITA MAIN TRACKARCADIA, Calif. (May 15, 2019)–With stabling accommodations nearly complete, Santa Anita Park is readying for its first-ever Fasig-Tipton 2-year-old in Training Sale here on Wednesday, June 5, at 1 p.m. PT.A total of 169 well-pedigreed juveniles have been catalogued and many are now on the grounds and in training. Two weeks prior to the sale, all horses will be stabled in temporary quarters adjacent to Santa Anita’s seven furlong chute, which provides ready access to those wishing to more closely inspect individual horses.“It’s great to be able to partner with an Industry leader like Fasig-Tipton,” said Tim Ritvo, COO for The Stronach Group. “We’ve enjoyed tremendous success with Fasig-Tipton in Florida and we’re looking forward to building upon that relationship here at Santa Anita.“As everyone knows, our 2-year-olds are the stars of tomorrow–which will be here before we know it. We’re already getting positive feedback from consignors and horsemen and we’re anxious to welcome everyone that’s coming to buy, sell and participate here on June 5. Moving forward, we see this sale as an important component to our overall business plan.”Prior to the June 5 sale, an under-tack preview will take place on Monday, June 3, at 10 a.m. Each catalogued individual will be assigned a hip number and will either breeze or gallop on the main track. This under-tack preview is open the public, but for those prospective buyers that cannot be here, each horse will be videotaped and available for viewing at FasigTipton.com.“There is a good mix of quality and sire power, both nationally and from California, being offered by prominent consignors from coast to coast,” said Fasig-Tipton California Representative Michael Machowsky. “The auction’s June sale date also gives buyers the convenience of sending their purchases straight to the racetrack from the sale to be readied for their summer debuts.”The Santa Anita Fasig-Tipton 2-year-old in Training Sale catalogue is now available in the Santa Anita Racing office and online at fasigtipton.com.
A Donegal Garda who was struck on the head by a stone the ‘size of a melon’ while on patrol at a festival in Inishowen has been awarded €30,000 damages in the High Court.Garda John O’Connor told the court that when the incident happened in August 2011, he was attached to Buncrana Garda station and had been working at the annual music festival in Clonmany.Garda O’Connor, who now suffers from tinnitus since the attack, sued the Minister for Public Expenditure. He revealed how a number of people had been involved in a disturbance on Main Street and he directed one of the main instigators to leave the area.The man had refused and had become aggressive. Following several warnings, the man had been pepper-sprayed and then restrained by Garda O’Connor and a colleague.Garda O’Connor told his barrister, Brid O’Flaherty, during a Garda Compensation hearing, that before assistance arrived, the crowd in the area had grown larger and became very hostile towards the gardaí.Garda O’Connor had been struck on the head by the stone when missiles, including glasses and bottles, had been thrown at him and his colleagues. The court heard that during further arrests that night, he had also been kicked on the right side of his face by another man.Mr Justice Bernard Barton was told Garda O’Connor woke up the next morning with severe pain to the right side of his face and in his right ear. He had also suffered bruising to his face.Garda O’Connor, now based at Swinford Garda station, Co Mayo, had later attended his GP, complaining of persistent tinnitus since the assault. The court heard the tinnitus was ongoing and Garda O’Connor needed to avoid loud noise situations.Ms O’Flaherty, who appeared with Hughes Murphy solicitors, said Garda O’Connor was not able to attend football matches anymore.Judge Barton, awarding him €30,000, said that although Garda O’Connor was not suffering from a severe type of tinnitus, he was satisfied that it constituted a nuisance in his life.GARDA STRUCK BY STONE AT DONEGAL MUSIC FESTIVAL GETS €30,000 was last modified: June 29th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Clonmany Music FestivaldonegalGarda John O’ConnorHIGH COURT